why have a drain tap and cut pipe back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm planning to update our small toilet area , had some really expensive quotes just to replace floor and tile
So i plan to have a go myself

We have a piece of pipe with a drain tap on, Not sure why it has a drain , its on the main water supply to the cistern - see image
why would we have a drain on a mains water supply

I want to cut the pipework back to the "T" and block off
so we have a clear space on the floor, possible build a cupboard or just leave clear

Best way to do that? given the paint all over the pipework, would i need a blow torch to remove the paint and then use a compression stop end

the pipe goes into a old cavity wall before an extension was added

Thanks

Attachments

• 1 - 5.jpeg
    1 - 5.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
brilliant thanks, will do that
It maybe the pipework is from the tank, but i thought all the water in the bungalow was off the mains, but i should check that out, would that be a reason ?
i will get some 15mm pipe cutters https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tooltime-P...000O53G4S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
unless you have a better recommendation for cutting pipework
i will also be cutting the pipework to the sink taps and replacing the taps
I will probably put some isolators in the loft as there is not much room under the sink

Attachments

• 1 - 1.jpeg
    1 - 1.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 73
but i should check that out, would that be a reason ?

It is perhaps a low point in the system, mains or cistern fed, and put there just to allow a complete drain down.

Pipe cutters are ideal and may also take off some paint when used.

Sponsored Links
Drain offs are usually to drain at the lowest point in the system, if it’s on a mains supply, after the stopcock then this should be left in, but maybe take it further back. As for using a pipe cutter/slice, these are fine and quick, be careful not to tramline, and be sure to deburr the ends.

Before cutting ensure the tank supplying the pipe is empty. Just turning the main stop cock OFF is not enough if the pipe is fed from a tank.

That may seem obvious but people have been known to cut before draining

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back