Why is diesel more expensive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well? why.. surely it takes less refining and therefore costs less to produce...
is it just a supply and demand issue?

surely with the newer cleaner diesel the co2 is going to be less on acar doing 50mpg compared to 30mpg of petrol...

Sponsored Links
dabaldie said:
Well? why.. surely it takes less refining and therefore costs less to produce...

surely with the newer cleaner diesel the co2 is going to be less on acar doing 50mpg compared to 30mpg of petrol...
there was talk sometime back of a tax on "dirty" fuel so perhaps?

how come the road tax on my deisel car is lower than a petrol car.
the co2 emmisions from a modern diesel are less than petrol...
unless its the particulates..

dabaldie said:
Because the diesel uses less fuel than a petrol car and more economical so they offer more ‘miles to the gallon’ than petrol therefore diesel cars also emit lower levels of CO and HC than equivalent petrol.

Sponsored Links
dabaldie said:

there is set limit to costs the price you pay is the price they think you will pay no more no less it has nothing to do with emmisions nothing at all

the powers that be are only out to get as much cash out of you as possible making a load of crap up as they go along in the lines of GREEN TAX wtf is that if america and china dont sign anything why should we ??????

who says we should be the first to be hit i can tell you OUR GOVERNMENT

F*** THEM ALL

dabaldie said:

Strange Eropean world we still have :eek:
In The Netherlands diesel is cheaper than petrol, but road tax is more.

Its obvious.....the cost of diesel is offsetting the cost of petrol....its compensating fo it in tax...if we didnt have diesel petrol tax would be far higher..

Oh and anyone thinking of converting to lpg....dont bother...at the moment its 30-40 a litre...less than half the price of petrol.....just like diesel was a few years back...till the government spotted what a nice earner it would be

They will do the same with LPG and make no mistake....they are just waiting for enough people to convert then they have you by the ging gangs!

Because successibe governments have realised over the last few decades that diesel cars are becoming more and more popular, thus they can grab more tax this way.

Diesel was dirt cheap in the late 70's/early 80's. Very few Joe Publics had a diesel car. Now, nigh on 50% of cars sold are diesel - adds up, doesn't it?

I have a theory...

In this hustle and bustle modern world, with a high cost of living and little time to actually relax, many people have started drinking more, eating rubbish, and driving diesel cars.

This could prove disastrous for the country. We are already regarded as the third coolest nation in the EU, behind the Italians and the Greeks. If this trend towards DERV burners continues, we may fall to being as uncool as Germany, or even Belgium.

Combine this with cheap, badly-made clothes imported from China and we might sink even further to become the least cool nation in the EU... that's right... even less cool than France. :eek:

So, they bumped up the duty on diesel. This should cause more people to drive proper cars, with engines that go "BRRRRRMMM!!!" instead of "CHUGGACHUGGACHUGGACHUGGA!!!". It is then only a matter of time before we rise up again to become the coolest nation in the EU.

Fact: London in the late 1960s was THE place to be. Yet few if any people drove diesel cars in London back then.

Fact: The sudden increase in diesel car ownership corresponds EXACTLY with a sudden increase in divorce rate AND childhood obesity. :eek:

Fact: Buses are diesel, and it has been well documented that bus drivers suffer from more cases of piles and low sperm count.

it was political to make it more expensive by taxing it more.

Petrol is always more expensive as it takes more refining to produce

AdamW said:
I have a theory...

Fact: The sudden increase in diesel car ownership corresponds EXACTLY with a sudden increase in divorce rate AND childhood obesity. :eek:

I suffered childhood obesity during 1975-6, and got divorced in 1993, but didn't drive my first diesel until 1994..... are these events really connected? :LOL:

Fact: Buses are diesel, and it has been well documented that bus drivers suffer from more cases of piles and low sperm count.

Being serious, this is because of long hours sitting down. Train drivers (even electric ones, that is the trains, not the drivers!) suffer similar fates.

securespark said:
I suffered childhood obesity during 1975-6, and got divorced in 1993, but didn't drive my first diesel until 1994..... are these events really connected? :LOL:

Hmmm... must be a delayed reaction ;)

I covet the idea of electric cars, perhaps this means I am doomed to a life of Chalfonts and low fertility :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back