Why is HETAS training so expensive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know gas training is long winded and expensive to achieve, but why is burning logs safely so complicated??

Sponsored Links
but why is burning logs safely so complicated??

partly because the fuel is far more complicated ( chemically ) than gas. Burn gas and you get water, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and some Nitrogen compounds

Nothing to clog up the flue in inflammable stuff like tar, soot and other random products that will burn in the chimney or the liner.

Flue gases from wood burners can be much hotter than those from gas burners, hence better thermal insulation is essential.

Some people won't like this but burning gas is simple compared to burning wood.

partly because the fuel is far more complicated ( chemically ) than gas. Burn gas and you get water, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and some Nitrogen compounds

Nothing to clog up the flue in inflammable stuff like tar, soot and other random products that will burn in the chimney or the liner.

Flue gases from wood burners can be much hotter than those from gas burners, hence better thermal insulation is essential.

Not the equipment though......Unless you are referring to fully automatic pellet boilers.

Sponsored Links

I see

Like a lot of things there's more to it than you would expect, percentage wise there's more solid fuel fatalities and co incidents than with gas.

I read a while back of a chimney sweep been jailed for manslaughter after a customer of his died. Soot can catch fire........ if you have a chimney fire it's fun.......

If you've got a solid fuel fire and no certificates to prove you've had the chimney swept nor a building control certificate for its installation and you have an insurance claim .......oh dear oh dear oh dear .....

Odd, I've never head of a wood fire explosion.

And Gasbanni was being facetious Terry - at least I think he was.

But at the end of it, and in relation to the opening question, I think it's a Gonads thing as well; but I suspect the Gas safe guys know how to tighten them a lot more than HETAS does.

Odd, I've never head of a wood fire explosion.

And Gasbanni was being facetious Terry - at least I think he was.

But at the end of it, and in relation to the opening question, I think it's a Gonads thing as well; but I suspect the Gas safe guys know how to tighten them a lot more than HETAS does.
Doggit there are more death's percentage wise from Co with solid fuel than gas .....Who said anything about explosions.

I'm been deadly serious I've done the course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back