Gas Safe training centres

i've looked into this. Spoke to my old college tutor who has advised me that to go down the college route i need to get NVQ level 2, which i can do in a matter of weeks, and then apply for NVQ level 3 (whilst making sure i work for a gas safe registered plumber) He says once i have done NVQ level 3, i will be able to apply for gas safe registration.

The other option is to go down the training centre route and build up a portfolio to work towards the gas ACS.

For those in the industry, what route would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Some of you lot are obviously so intelligent that you are wasted as gas engineers. This page ought to be looked at by the head hunters at NASA the calibre is border line genius.
Actually the most technically and practially sound engineer I have ever worked with was a functioning alcoholic that could barely read or write and had social skills that was borderline aspbergers. When I was an apprentice I had to drive him around as he was on a drink driving ban but after he got done for it again 2 weeks after his ban ended they had to (reluctantly) let him go.

Some of you lot are obviously so intelligent that you are wasted as gas engineers. This page ought to be looked at by the head hunters at NASA the calibre is border line genius.
Actually the most technically and practially sound engineer I have ever worked with was a functioning alcoholic that could barely read or write and had social skills that was borderline aspbergers. When I was an apprentice I had to drive him around as he was on a drink driving ban but after he got done for it again 2 weeks after his ban ended they had to (reluctantly) let him go.

lol but this still doesnt answer my questions! :LOL:

No, experience would be the least of my concerns. By definition few taking first ACS would have much experience. One I met once had more than 90% of experienced RGIs though.

Probably some of the following primarily :-

Attitude

Appearance

Accent

Education

Future business intentions

Intentions to steal my customers

Intentions to cheat/steal from me

I could probably add a few to that list later but those are what come to mind first.

Tony I thought you were meant to teach them Gas work not the above. :LOL: :LOL:

Andy
Attitude - A charming old country boy .Appearance - I`ll need to get some more false teeth .Accent - Sussex burr .Education- good. Business intentions - none at all , more interested in the electronics and innards of boilers and system controls ( because I`ve got the T shirt for most other plumbing) Steal customers - more likely to talk up the service to custards and get their friends to take up too .No need to nick even a few fittings for private jobs because I don`t do them . So , Andy and Tony...... Who wants me the most :mrgreen: Part Time only ;)

Sponsored Links

lol but this still doesnt answer my questions! :LOL:

Well there is a compulsory part for both you need to do college to get your papers and you must need certain time on work experience.
I would agree with what someone said earlier that if your an apprentice a lot depends on your master. Going on my own experience the attitude of the master falls into different categories first one is a bloke that pretty much ignores your there carries out the work without explaining so he can finish at 2 o clock so he can do his private jobs or in summer fit in a round of golf, ones that use having an apprentice as a power trip, blokes that know **** all and only when you've gone out on your own and done the job properly you realise how bad they are, blokes who don't want to teach you **** all cause of paranoia and lastly the very rare ones who want to help you but it varies a lot on on how much is carrot and how much is stick. Me personally the stick was used on me more often than not and it depends how you deal with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back