Training course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm considering going on a training course to be a gas fitter. It consists of 28 weeks full time. A little over half on placement, the rest in a training centre. The time in the centre includes the Gas Safe exams. Is this likely to be enough training to enable me to work servicing and repairing boilers.

Sponsored Links
not sure if you are talking about bpec course or not, dont suppose it matters TBH, i work in a centre in Paisley which does this course, so it is fair to say my opinion is based on that, however, there have been many many people passed thro the course with a great level of commitment and hard work who are reaping the benefits and working full time and earning, a lot depends on your commitment, effort, skill and ability, depending on your background 28 weeks is tons of time to do the basics and get your head sorted on all the safety stuff, and i always suggest that the best insight into it is servicing so you learn the basics, then do fault finding, THEN you go out and learn fault finding and earn experience, (just as the rest of us did no matter where we learned) many will comment it is wrong and you need to do a 3-4 yr apprenticeship to do gas which i dont agree with depending where you have already worked and what you know, ie commitment, looking after and respecting peoples property, getting out your bed every day and going to work, not seeing how long it takes to melt something with a blow lamp, all these thing s we do as apprentices and dont need to be taught them again

Its a start,but to be brutally honest after such a short time you will struggle with all the different boilers and systems out there.Do you intend to work for yourself or for an existing company?

Its a start,but to be brutally honest after such a short time you will struggle with all the different boilers and systems out there.Do you intend to work for yourself or for an existing company?

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to work with a company for about two years then hopefully work for myself after that.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to work with a company for about two years then hopefully work for myself after that.

i always suggest this is the best course of action, i do find some on the courses think as soon as they have a gas ticket they know everything and dont require any time to build up which i think is a bit arrogant, working with a company will allow you to have the comfort zone of having others around you to assist when you need it, and a management system that has supervision built in to ensure what you are doing is ok, a lot of people are making fundamental errors that are not being picked up and will lead to an issue at some point, which some will say means the course is no good, but it is a fact that a tradessman with many many yrs experience is making the same mistakes every day as well so what is his excuse, if you put in 100% commitment the training centre should match it and you will learn at a good pace and be safe

not sure if you are talking about bpec course or not, dont suppose it matters TBH, i work in a centre in Paisley which does this course, so it is fair to say my opinion is based on that, however, there have been many many people passed thro the course with a great level of commitment and hard work who are reaping the benefits and working full time and earning, a lot depends on your commitment, effort, skill and ability, depending on your background 28 weeks is tons of time to do the basics and get your head sorted on all the safety stuff, and i always suggest that the best insight into it is servicing so you learn the basics, then do fault finding, THEN you go out and learn fault finding and earn experience, (just as the rest of us did no matter where we learned) many will comment it is wrong and you need to do a 3-4 yr apprenticeship to do gas which i dont agree with depending where you have already worked and what you know, ie commitment, looking after and respecting peoples property, getting out your bed every day and going to work, not seeing how long it takes to melt something with a blow lamp, all these thing s we do as apprentices and dont need to be taught them again

Just out of interest, could you show me a link to the course? is it one fundings avalible for or do you pay for yourself, need to have an employer for onsite trainning or do the college help find one etc? was just thinking for a friend.

John id say its a good thing to go for but realisticly once qualified you should try and get 5 years experience before setting up, it would give you a better grounding and you can still have your own gas safe doing what your comfortable with in the meanwhile making a fair wage. I set up myself in march last year though had a corgi card for 3 years, been doing it for 7 now, all good here.
Ray

Just out of interest, could you show me a link to the course? is it one fundings avalible for or do you pay for yourself, need to have an employer for onsite trainning or do the college help find one etc? was just thinking for a friend.

http://www.gpe-services.com/

prob best to have a look then contact us, there has been funding in the past via DP&W (the broo to you and I) give us a bell and you can pop along for a wee visit and chat

How much is the course, and are there other companies in England (pref. South) that offer training and placements?

How much is the course, and are there other companies in England (pref. South) that offer training and placements?

contact us directly and you will get prices, but TBH the travel time from Devon will be harsh, dont know about any other companies who do this in the whole world apart from mine, i aint here to advertise anyone else

all joking apart, we run a bpec course which is/must be available all over, go on the bpec website where they will have info on centres which deliver the "Gas Foundation Course" we charge about £5.5k but is less if you can organise your own placement, and less again if your placement company starts to use the centre for other business

i always suggest this is the best course of action, i do find some on the courses think as soon as they have a gas ticket they know everything and dont require any time to build up which i think is a bit arrogant, working with a company will allow you to have the comfort zone of having others around you to assist when you need it, and a management system that has supervision built in to ensure what you are doing is ok, a lot of people are making fundamental errors that are not being picked up and will lead to an issue at some point, which some will say means the course is no good, but it is a fact that a tradessman with many many yrs experience is making the same mistakes every day as well so what is his excuse, if you put in 100% commitment the training centre should match it and you will learn at a good pace and be safe

to be honest there a far to many poorly trained gas fitter already in the trade, be better doing Nvq2 & 3 for three years in your local college and trying to get a local rgi to train you.

these training centers have a lot to answer for in my opinion

I think the training is good but the learning depends on the candidate.

A friend had a kebab shop and now does repairs but he is very unusual.

Many have been registered for 10 yrsrs and still hopeless at fault finding and cannot even use a meter.

Tony

A question I often ask myself about these adult courses is -

How on earth do adults (with all kinds of finalcial commitments) find £5.5K to go on these fast track courses, let alone then survive the 28 weeks without any pay?

Back in my day (70s) it was 4 years of low pay on apprenticeship wages which was really only suitable for a school leaver because he wouldn't have any finacial commitments.

Maybe we are all richer today than we was back then; but we just don't realise it!

The same way that they buy a new car for £12k ?

Tony

people whp worked in the 70 80 90 never had it so good

i know a plaster who could afford 3 kids and build his own 5 bed house

the trades are finished now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back