Why is HETAS training so expensive?

By the way the flue integrity test for solid fuel knocks the socks off a gas one.

Sponsored Links
I was asked to build a website about natural forest practice, as part of this the owner wanted to tell people how bad burning wood was, but I was unhappy putting my name to the site without verifying what he was saying.

It really was an eye opener, tar build up, particular emissions, mean the burn has to be in two parts, extra air is inserted giving a very hot burn, getting this air is also a problem without causing a draft in the house or allowing items like tumble driers causing the burn not to fully remove particular emissions and also things like scrubbers, all too technical for me really.

However it seems until all the wood has be converted into charcoal the burn has to be at a very controlled rate, which in turn often means more heat than is required is released, there seems to be two main ways to get around the problem, one is a load of rock or concrete which stores the heat like electric storage heaters, the other is a liquid (water) heat store where the water heated is stored for use latter.

The price becomes silly for some of the systems, and there has to be a difference between using a small wood burner for some ambiance and using wood to heat the whole house. I am sure some one could tell you exactly what the installer has to check, but it is clearly far more complex to using gas or even pre-heated fuels like charcoal or coke.

Sponsored Links
And that's the contradiction Gasbanni. Is it a faulty installation that causes the deaths (hence requiring an expensive course), or faulty burning of the fuel by the user of a good installation. The course's actually don't seem to be that expensive in comparison to Gas safe courses, and the Gas safe guys would argue that a faulty boiler installation can cause a gas explosion that'll take out a row of houses, but a solid fuel stove won't - even though you say that there are more deaths (percentage wise) from solid fuel stoves.

Well you've got me there; but you know that wasn't what I meant.

I was asked to build a website about natural forest practice, as part of this the owner wanted to tell people how bad burning wood was, but I was unhappy putting my name to the site without verifying what he was saying.

It really was an eye opener, tar build up, particular emissions, mean the burn has to be in two parts, extra air is inserted giving a very hot burn, getting this air is also a problem without causing a draft in the house or allowing items like tumble driers causing the burn not to fully remove particular emissions and also things like scrubbers, all too technical for me really.

However it seems until all the wood has be converted into charcoal the burn has to be at a very controlled rate, which in turn often means more heat than is required is released, there seems to be two main ways to get around the problem, one is a load of rock or concrete which stores the heat like electric storage heaters, the other is a liquid (water) heat store where the water heated is stored for use latter.

The price becomes silly for some of the systems, and there has to be a difference between using a small wood burner for some ambiance and using wood to heat the whole house. I am sure some one could tell you exactly what the installer has to check, but it is clearly far more complex to using gas or even pre-heated fuels like charcoal or coke.

I think you meant particulate emissions, there is far more to it than people realise, I can attest to that in my own education of the subject ......that Terry chap is a prime example no knowledge of it and thinks there's nothing to it. I wasnt as ignorant as he is but it was an education I have to admit, when first lighting a fire the Co emissions are unbelievable ....very very high

And that's the contradiction Gasbanni. Is it a faulty installation that causes the deaths (hence requiring an expensive course), or faulty burning of the fuel by the user of a good installation. The course's actually don't seem to be that expensive in comparison to Gas safe courses, and the Gas safe guys would argue that a faulty boiler installation can cause a gas explosion that'll take out a row of houses, but a solid fuel stove won't - even though you say that there are more deaths (percentage wise) from solid fuel stoves.

Well you've got me there; but you know that wasn't what I meant.
i

Come on Doggit let's not be pedantic here Terrywhatit was in error, you thought I was being facetious. Its safe as long as its safe, just like gas and what makes it safe ? Knowledge and skill. Let me be clear solid fuel is a killer ...more so than gas. Terrywhatsit as the view of a lot of people it's simple ...nowt to it.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Come on Terryfookwit what do you know about solid fuel ...nowt

Sorry Gasbanni, I really wan't being pedantic, and I have no wish to undermine you at all; you have my respect really, and I although you're post could have been a facetious one, I also realised how real it could be. With gas, it works, or stops, but you don't keep refilling it each time you turn it on, but there are time trying to get a stove going, that I think it's a black art, so yes, they need treating with a degree of respect.

Fook off!! Logs, a source of ignition and O2 is all that's needed !!

So speaketh you .......enough said you've shown your ignorance. Unless it's a very misleading and poor attempt at humour, personally I think your ignorant of your own ignorance.

Sorry Gasbanni, I really wan't being pedantic, and I have no wish to undermine you at all; you have my respect really, and I although you're post could have been a facetious one, I also realised how real it could be. With gas, it works, or stops, but you don't keep refilling it each time you turn it on, but there are time trying to get a stove going, that I think it's a black art, so yes, they need treating with a degree of respect.

Fair enough Doggit there's a lot of ignorance about solid fuel, I admit to that too before I did the course. A lot of the general public think there's nothing to it and it's simple enough. I thought it was simple too. Had an awakening to my ignorance.

Stood me in front of a typical 1950's tiled fireplace " Right find me ten faults that may or may not be dangerous "

If ever I'm on a totally unrelated call at a house and they have a solid fuel installation, I always mention a CO alarm and the chimney been swept twice a year.

Have you been on the Pi$$ all day ???

You normally post shi te like this in the CC.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back