Gas Safe training centres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it worth investing in a course at these local training centres for gas safe? Or would i be better of working alongside an experienced tradesman?

Sponsored Links
That depends on your objective.

Those in the industry would say that the best training is given with an apprenticeship!

How true that is depends on the master in the apprenticeship. So many in the industry are better experienced at getting people to part with their money than the technicalities.

Any centre assessors will say that a very high proportion taking gas ACS dont properly understand the basic concepts. When so many dont even have science "A" levels thats probably not surprising.

Tony

My understanding was that any non time-served Plumber/Heating Engineer needed a work portfolio to get their ACS elements, so you'd need to do both mate.

Sponsored Links
Is it worth investing in a course at these local training centres for gas safe? Or would i be better of working alongside an experienced tradesman?

to get to the end goal of sitting and passing the assessments you will need to do both, a good tradesman cant give you the exams, and no centre will give you the full practical you need, depending on your qualifications there are different routes to doing both but ultimately unless you are previuosly qualified in gas you need to build a portfolio of evidence doing real work then do the theory in a classromm environment, best to discuss what quals you have and what you expect to do in gas with either a firm or a training provider, or post a bit more info on here and we can answer for you

That is what is MEANT to happen!

Unfortunately the actual practice seems that many ( most ? ) are just one practical job in each class which is then copied by everyone else.

Many training places have ( at additional costs! ) practical training experiences which apparently manage to get round the requirements.

It seems far worse now! I used to get a call a week five years ago from people wanting to come unpaid to get their portfolio covered.

I think that I had just one call last year about that.

Unfortunately the actual practice seems that many ( most ? ) are just one practical job in each class which is then copied by everyone else.

Many training places have ( at additional costs! ) practical training experiences which apparently manage to get round the requirements.

It seems far worse now! I used to get a call a week five years ago from people wanting to come unpaid to get their portfolio covered.

That's a bit of a worry Tony, I wonder if Gas Safe are aware of this?? Has ARGI pointed out this sharp practice to GS??
I guess it's just another case of the poor training & limited experience any CC/CCC will receive on these mickey mouse courses!!

Training is a very financially important activity for RGIs.

ARGI is populated by RGIs who did their original practical training/apprenticeships a long while ago.

The discussion meetings ARGI mostly take part in are over represented by training firms which have a very vested interest in maintaining and extending their activities. Just look at the new seperate FGA category which should have been included in boilers.

Of course if I ran training requirements there would be just one category of indirect heat producing appliances to cover boilers, water heaters, WAU etc. and that would include FGA and temperature measurements ( which is not currently covered but very important in fault finding ).

Did someone once calculate there were about 256 different modules you could do?

Its so stupid at the moment you need a different module to mend a boiler according to if the dwelling has wheels or if they have been removed!

Ive done my C&G level 2 plumbing, and been working on water systems part time for the past two years so an relatively confident in the plumbing aspects. But i now want to work on the gas side of it and may be able to work alongside a couple of heating engineers installers. I'm going to speak to them at the weekend to see if they can take me on. If so, i want to eventually work on the gas side of things, working on boilers etc.

But theres so many different views on how to go about getting gas safe!

I can second that I used to get letters and phone calls every week asking to come and work with me to build up a portfolio, now I dont get any...............dont think its me but something must have changed ! but I dont know what.

I can second that I used to get letters and phone calls every week asking to come and work with me to build up a portfolio, now I dont get any...............dont think its me but something must have changed ! but I dont know what.

I know what the change is in plumbing NVQ 2.

About five years ago the exam authorities decided to tighten up on the assessment qualifications of those in colleges. They started to try external assessors who would visit students in their workplace. That all went wrong and the college staff were unhappy.

In my local the staff refused to assess but then they all applied when they advertised jobs for assessors.

They were so short of people that they put me throught the assessor's award course!

It seems they decided that it was not worth the hassle ( and extra costs ) and virtually all the colleges only offer the Technical Certificate which excludes assessment of extended practical work normally encountered outside the college. They do have a bathroom installation bar and a hot water cylinder installation bay.

Its not clear to me what they are doing for gas now. But I certainly dont get many requests for portfolio assistance. Although now I would refuse most of them.

Tony

I know what the change is in plumbing NVQ 2.

About five years ago the exam authorities decided to tighten up on the assessment qualifications of those in colleges. They started to try external assessors who would visit students in their workplace. That all went wrong and the college staff were unhappy.

In my local the staff refused to assess but then they all applied when they advertised jobs for assessors.

They were so short of people that they put me throught the assessor's award course!

It seems they decided that it was not worth the hassle ( and extra costs ) and virtually all the colleges only offer the Technical Certificate which excludes assessment of extended practical work normally encountered outside the college. They do have a bathroom installation bar and a hot water cylinder installation bay.

Its not clear to me what they are doing for gas now. But I certainly dont get many requests for portfolio assistance. Although now I would refuse most of them.

Tony

Why would you refuse them?

No, experience would be the least of my concerns. By definition few taking first ACS would have much experience. One I met once had more than 90% of experienced RGIs though.

Probably some of the following primarily :-

Attitude

Appearance

Accent

Education

Future business intentions

Intentions to steal my customers

Intentions to cheat/steal from me

I could probably add a few to that list later but those are what come to mind first.

No, experience would be the least of my concerns. By definition few taking first ACS would have much experience. One I met once had more than 90% of experienced RGIs though.

Probably some of the following primarily :-

Attitude

Appearance

Accent

Education

Future business intentions

Intentions to steal my customers

Intentions to cheat/steal from me

I could probably add a few to that list later but those are what come to mind first.
Accent? If they speak legibly, what has their accent got to do with anything? BTW I agree with most of your other points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back