Why is it always a mate ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a call from an old mate whos just moved to a new house this week (well new to him) can I take a look at a few things for him as some of the electrics don't seem right..

The garage light switches dont seem to work correctly..

Guess at least they'd put some tape over the exposed copper :rolleyes:

Oh and theres some sockets we're not sure we should use or not.... (there were 4 like this, and this wasn't the worst one)

Oh and why you are here I think the shower install looks a little dodgy..

A bit more detail on the shower.....its a 8.5kw shower on 4mm T&E, on a 30A 3036, the cable runs through the wall behind the CU, then tacked at skirting height across the downstairs cloackroom, into the soil pipe void, up into the loft (running under 200mm of rockwall), to the isolator then down the surface trunking on the RHS of the shower and then cut into the side of the shower.

House has got a 1980's cream 6 way wylex board with 3036's (not an RCD in sight anywhere), but at least there was PEB's inplace albeit undersized. God knows why he didn't get a PIR/EICR done upfront.. got the 'well we've just moved, we're skint' comment...

Think I know where my free weekends are headed... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Here's the cu, its located underneath a kitchen worktop with the boiler mounted directly above on the same wall.....

There is also a 2way old wylex cu in the garage fed from a spur off of the 1st floor ring final, that needs sorting too

Sponsored Links
:eek: That showers a beauty. Extra style marks for the orange speed fits

I'd rate it as good as this one a found a while back

At least this one had a good size cable feeding it, so it should prove to be a nice little hand-hold when you slip

At least this one had a good size cable feeding it, so it should prove to be a nice little hand-hold when you slip

Thats a design feature so you can hang your shower gel on it, thats why they have those little hooks on the bottles :LOL:

Those speedfits in my pic looked to be white origionally, maybe the old owner was a hair dye/fake tan fan :confused:

And properly applied it was probably proof against steam for several years.

But sprayed with water by a shower every day?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back