Why is it so difficult to build a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wondering if any of you can help me. Last summer my girlfriend posted on here about our garage being near to collapse, which we had to demolish in the end.

We live in a split level flat above a shop and were told we needed planning permission to rebuild the old garage. This seems ludicrous as I am simply replacing what was there, but never mind.

In any case, I got some builders to come and quote for the rebuild. At each first meeting they were all reliable, but as soon as I mentioned having to get planning permission, I never heard back from any of them. Problem is, I need their help (with dimension, materials etc) in order to get planning permission. There is no point in me submitting plans to the council if no builder is prepared to take on the work.

Also, I need clearance from my freeholder before I build, so I have these obstacles and I'm not sure what order they need to be dealt with:

- freeholder clearance.
- planning permission clearance.
- a reliable builder.

Someone please tell me why this is so proving to be so difficult?

Thanks.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Your builders will not be interested in getting your planning permission, that is not their remit, you are probably just another pie in the sky customer in a busy builders eyes, there is no job there until you have had your planning approved.

You will need to seek approval from your freeholder who may want to see drawings etc.

Unless you are doing them yourself you will need to employ a technician or similar to put together a planning application for you. Your technician will be able to provide you with relevant dimensions/materials etc and will be able to provide your freeholder copies of the drawings.

You will probably have to send a copy of the approved drawings to your freeholder for their records after granting of planning permission.

Its a twisted logic but once something has been demolished the site is considered empty hence a planning application for new development is required. This is to stop unscrupulous developers 're-building' whatever the feck they want.

Builders typically don't like risk, responsibility or liability.

They want you to get any permissions, and then they will build what you ask to the specification you provide.

You need to decide what sizes, style and material the garage will be

Then you need to get any required planning permission or other statutory permission

You then need to get your freeholders permission - which can not be withheld without good reason

They you get quotes for the work

If you can't do this yourself, instruct a local building surveyor who will be conversant in all this

That's great - thanks to you both.

The problem I faced was that the builders were keen on only using their preferred materials, which is fine. When I then asked for details of the materials for the planning application, they then became unreliable.

I think I'll instruct some professionals to take care of the planning application.

Thanks again.

Steve

Sponsored Links
The problem I faced was that the builders were keen on only using their preferred materials
Que?

Unless you are leaning towards some weird modular build then a builders preferred materials are masonry, sand, cement, wood, etc.

What more details do you need?

It is common practice to use materials similar in appearance to existing or nearby buildings, or build in such a way that it does not stick out like a sore thumb. What preferential materials were the builders favouring that would cause concern?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back