Why is it sooo hard to find a sparky?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On and off for the last 5 months I've been trying to get a sparky in to do some work for me and I'm finding it impossible to get one.

I must have called six different people who for one reason or another never seem to get around to coming out to see me - its driving me mad.

Here is the work I need:

1. New CU with RCD. I have an old EL system in the house and don't feel too happy - I have no faith that the earth is correctly installed. The old CU is actually half wooden would you believe.

2. House safety check, including tracing why a metal socket has an 18v potential to earth (think I know why but want an expert's opinion and solution.) I want the shower checked in particular as the electrics in the house are of a very dubious character - lots of DIY work gone on previous to my ownership! As an example I found a single T+E feeding TWO double gang sockets in the dining room AS WELL AS a light in the garage AND a third double socket which was also feed a 'board' of round pin sockets ALSO feeding a single 3 pin socket powering the freezer. I'm no expert but ... (I removed this little gem myself.)

3. Prepare for a supply move. Meter is going to move from one wall to another so I need a new sub-main (I think) to go from the new supply area to the CU.

There has to be at least 2 days work for a sparky there. Its not as if they are all scared off by the work as most of them never return the bloody call I make so they have not idea of the work required.

Is there such a Sparky shortage that its this difficult to get one in? Maybe I should retrain and get into it?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted. I live In guildford if that helps.

Sponsored Links
you should ask your friends and neighbours for recommendations.

JohnD

I have! Exhausted all my friends recommendations. Now my neighbour says he's part-P registered and has all the kit but he really is a last resort as if something goes wrong I have to live next door to him.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps they are put off by how you describe your installation as they could uncover a can of worms

Where abouts in Surrey are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back