Why is there so few women, doing diy & building work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is no reason why women should not be in most of the construction trades, but there appears to be hardly any, why?. If for no other reason it would make builders butt more ejoyable.

Apart from a bit of decorating they don't seem to get involved in too many other diy projects, which is a shame.

Sponsored Links
There was a girl at college on my course many moons ago, but she got so much stick from the lads that she was forced to leave. That is really sad, because she knew exactly what she was doing. Jealousy, I suppose.

Immature W*nkers!

It's a bit hard to tell on the forums, mind. I would say that there are far more men than women, agreed, but I am pretty sure that there are female members too, just they don't generally post replies that start "I am a woman!" Perhaps we will now have all these female DIYers/tradespeople making themselves known?

Perhaps Securespark, a.k.a. Simone :p

But I think it is like barbecues. Anyone who lives with a woman knows that usually man does meat, woman does salad. The meat is the substance of a barbecue, without which there is no point to it. But the salad is decoration, it looks nice but you don't care so much if it is iceberg lettuce or Kos lettuce. Just so long as it is next to a steak.

Some friends of mine who are getting married have a house, she is the designer and the foreman, he is the structural engineer and labourer. It is apparently a common relationship and works quite well (usually!)

Adam... Show me a woman, that is not a natural born forperson (notice pc).

I have had my wife working with me for the last few months and it's quite amazing how little I knew. After doing this job for over 30 years, I'm so glad she's there to guide me through it all...still she does a much better job of clearing up than I ever did.

Sponsored Links
I AM A WOMAN!! (Guess my name gives it away!!) I am currently renovating my house and garden. So far I have fitted the kitchen, knocked down walls, plastered boarded,layed patios, plumbed in a sink, wired in light fittings, chopped down 40 ft trees...... etc. I have considered going to train to do one of these for a living as I love it but I think its true what secureparks said about mens response to females in the trade. We can do a good job but can we put up with the hassle from those men who worry about a woman being better than them!! ( Mind you have you ever worked with a load of women, much worse than a load of men i'm sure!!)I have actually been offered jobs in the trade but its a big change, Im a trained teacher!!! (But I preffer demolishion and my big muscles!!) By the way Adam, I don't just do the garnish on the hotdogs!!!! :LOL:

Okay Im ready for the women jokes!!! :eek:

This is good stuff to hear Lisap.

Since my original posting I've remembered 2 women in the trade, first worked as a all rounder at a builders, the boss told me if he could swop the men for more like her he could make a fortune, nearly all the blokes I met had respect for her.

Second is when I worked as a bench joiner, a woman in her early thirties
was head & shoulders above the rest, again she got respect.

Give it a go full time, you already work with kids, so your half way there.

lisap said:
I AM A WOMAN!! So far I have fitted the kitchen, knocked down walls, plastered boarded,layed patios, plumbed in a sink, wired in light fittings, chopped down 40 ft trees...... etc.
Lisa, will you marry me ? :)

She will, Mason, as long as you do the washing up, laundry, ironing, cooking, changing nappies and ask her to interpret the road map for you (Miaowwww!!)

Nearest to a tradeswoman I have known is my grandmother, who was an expert on plumbing from the trade counter side (she could and did replace a toilet quicker than anyone I have ever met, not to mention taught my Dad how to overhaul and rebuild an engine)

At least one of the machinists at work is a woman, what she can't do with a CNC mill isn't worth doing!

securespark said:
ask her to interpret the road map for you (Miaowwww!!)

I have GPS navigation in my car, it has this wonderful girl's voice. But on occasion I disagree with its directions and I am sure it is partly because I think I know better than the girl in the dashboard :LOL:

the girl in the dashboard

Doesn't she ever get cramp...and what does your partner think about her?

masona said:
Lisa, will you marry me ? :)

Im afraid I cant, Im getting married in September to a man who is usless at everthing but gives me the money to do the DIY!!!! I must admit Im not like most women, Im at B&Q most weekends and relax by reading the screwfix catalogue!! Its easier to have male friends as most women dont know what Im going on about!! I must admit you do pick up alot as you go along and this website has been brill for getting info from.

I thought there would have been more jokes from you lot! :LOL:

lisap said:

We're far too well mannered! :LOL:

The only Tradeswoman I have known, in a "mucky" job was a plumber. I don't know how good she is, as she only quoted the once for a job at work, and her price was twice as much as the next nearest! HE got the job!

securespark said:
the girl in the dashboard

Doesn't she ever get cramp...and what does your partner think about her?

Well, my ex didn't mind if I set it to talk in Italian as that was a man's voice... in fact she quite liked it! :LOL:

"Ciao, bella! Turna left at the end of tha Via Tiburtina! No, you turna right, what a mistaka to maka!"

lisap said:

How many women does it take to fully renovate a house? :?:

One, it would seem! :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back