Why is this garage roof leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 1980s garage with a corrugated cement asbestos roof. The roof looks to be in good shape to me from the inside, but there are significant leaks coming from where the sheets overlap.

I can't figure out why as there are no obvious cracks. I am wondering though whether the moss on the roof might be causing it, e.g. allowing water time to soak through, or causing it to wick upwards? Could also be the washers around the bolts (which mostly seem cracked) although the water isn't obviously coming it from anywhere close to those?

Any ideas appreciated - thanks.

20230818_105712.jpg
20230818_105750.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you say, especially the bolts, plus general deterioration.

Blup

What you say, especially the bolts, plus general deterioration.

Blup

Thanks - maybe I'll see if I can find one to clean/repair it. I did get a quote to have it replaced but it was nearly £2500..

Sponsored Links
I've a shed with the same sort of panels, generous moss growth was causing water to obviously backup in the valleys over the join which didn't look ideal to me so I tried to clear them out a bit, any backup when it's raining?

I've a shed with the same sort of panels, generous moss growth was causing water to obviously backup in the valleys over the join which didn't look ideal to me so I tried to clear them out a bit, any backup when it's raining?
Good question, I'll try to check but reluctant to clamber on it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back