why my window can't close properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Somehow my window can't close properly. I looked at the hinges and seems they are not broken. But somehow it got stuck why I try to close it.
I asked a windows guy and he said i have to replace the whole window. Is it really the case I have to replace the whole window?
I attached some photos and my window can only close to that point.
Is it possible to fix it other than replace whole thing?
Many thanks
959284804.jpg
351159805.jpg

Sponsored Links
Youve probably got a damaged friction stay.

Sometimes if they arent oiled for years and they get stuck as the sash is closed causing the linkages to move out of their correct place.

You could try opening the sash wide, then pull the sash inwards and down whilst its open, it might then close.

If that doesnt work you might need nee friction stays. It looks like it might be an aly window, if so thats more tricky as the stays maybe riveted in place.

You probably need a pair of 10" top hung stays with a 13mm stack height.

Somebody who is in the window repair game may be along soon to give better advice -there could be another obvious reason.......

First of all, does the handle lock whilst the window is open. That will elliminate the locking mechansism in the window if it does. As Notch sugggests, it's possible that the hinges are getting iffy, and the windows dropped a little. Then it would catch on the locking parts on the frame. There will be a catch either end of the window that the pins go into, if you remove each in turn, and the window locks, then it's the hinges. Depending on whether they've been screwed in, or riveted wil determine whether you can replace them yourself.

Sponsored Links
on my top opener the top locating bits off plastic/nylon to the r/h side at the top off the hinge can clash with the housing so pushing the window frame at 90% to the face on the opposite l/h side bottom lines up the housing allowing it to shut smoothly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back