Why not 'it'?

your link says "The broadcaster has been accused"

which may be true.

The Times is circumspect.

Can you name a hundred gender identities? I don't doubt that people have hundreds, if not thousands, of sexual preferences, which is not the same thing.

You're a mischievous little monkey John D.

The Times says:
BBC films teach children of ‘100 genders, or more’
The broadcaster has been accused of sowing confusion in classroom materials to be shown to children as young as nine

So The Times is stating it as a fact, probably because it is, but saying "the broadcaster has been accused" of sowing confusion. You're being a little disingenuous, one of your less attractive traits if I may say.

Can you name a hundred gender identities?

I gave up at 5 to be perfectly honest.
Anyway, are you having anyone for supper tonight?

Sponsored Links
your link says "The broadcaster has been accused"

which may be true.

The Times is circumspect.

Can you name a hundred gender identities? I don't doubt that people have hundreds, if not thousands, of sexual preferences, which is not the same thing.

You're a mischievous little monkey John D.

The Times says:
The broadcaster has been accused of sowing confusion in classroom materials to be shown to children as young as nine

So The Times is stating it as a fact, probably because it is, but saying "the broadcaster has been accused" of sowing confusion. You're being a little disingenuous, one of your less attractive traits if I may say.

Can you name a hundred gender identities?

I gave up at 5 to be perfectly honest.
Anyway, are you having anyone for supper tonight?

The Times says:

Observe the Quotation marks. The Times says "BBC films teach children of"

but it is quoting somebody else about the "100 genders." Who? It does not itself assert that to be a fact. It is reporting what somebody else says.

Do you actually think that "the BBC" actually asserts that there are 100?

Or you think that in fact, it has made a film in which one of the contributors says such a thing?

If the BBC shows Buffoon Johnson in front of a bus, saying "£350 million a week to the NHS" do you think that the BBC is saying that? Or asserting it to be true?

In a thousand years' time, when Time Team dig our bones up, they will only be able to tell that we were "male" or "female".

Sponsored Links
2222722.jpg

In a thousand years' time, when Time Team dig our bones up, they will only be able to tell that we were "male" or "female".

andy11

Now known as andrea11 'they' havent specified their pronoun pfeference

It's quite simple

If you see a man leave a car with the lights still on, you say "he's left his lights on"
If you see a woman leave a car with the lights on, you say "she's left her lights on"

If you see a parked car with it's lights on, you say "they've left their lights on"
Exactly, so you wouldn't say 'they' for a single person.

It is hard to remember, but I really don't see why people get so excited/flustered about it.
Not sure if you mean the person in the article or me.
If me, then I'm neither excited nor flustered; merely pointing out the nonsense that abounds today in the English speaking world.
Actresses who want to be called actors but presumably not he.

I treat people how I'd like to be treated, and don't give a toss who they sleep with
I agree but that's nothing to do with the thread.

Please excuse my cynicism but is 'Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms/Mx Sam Smith' by any chance due to release a new album/single?

Apologies for the 'daily mail' link but it's one of the few that doesn't require a subscription.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-100-gender-identities-blasted-nonsense.html

No need to apologise. As reported by PAMCo Ltd (Publishers Audience Measurement Company Ltd) The Saturday Daily Mail is now the highest selling Saturday newspaper at 29.4% with 3.4 million readers and 256,000 copies ahead of its nearest rival the Sun. :)
The Daily Mail is now at 24.6% and rising :)

No need to apologise. As reported by PAMCo Ltd (Publishers Audience Measurement Company Ltd) The Saturday Daily Mail is now the highest selling Saturday newspaper at 29.4% with 3.4 million readers and 256,000 copies ahead of its nearest rival the Sun. :)
The Daily Mail is now at 24.6% and rising :)

Yes, it appears there are more people than ever that like to be lied to.

These are people that help to make the owners of the Daily Mail richer whilst avoiding paying tax, at the expense of their readers, who they are encouraging to vote against their own interests.

Can we assume that 3.4 million dummies were mislead into voting brexit?

What would that do to the result?

If not, why do they read it?

Exactly, so you wouldn't say 'they' for a single person.

No- I would use "they" as they were not in front of me to influence a he/she description.
Imagine that the car was a single seater for ease

In the same way a call centre would say "an engineer will call and they will diagnose the fault.
A single engineer. No ambiguity

The electrician employed by my builder was a bodge artist. They twisted wires together with no screwed or crimped connectors covered in insulating tape

In the same way a call centre would say "an engineer will call and they will diagnose the fault.

Im not sure about that.

Surely the call centre would say an' engineer will call and diagnose the fault'.

I saw a couple talking about their child. The couple were explaining it was unfair for them to choose the gender for the child so until the child chose it would be referred to as 'they'.

calling your child 'they' its just weird.

Sponsored Links
Back