Why Self-Monitored Home Alarm Systems Don’t Work

Most often by the time they are fully awake it is too late to do anything other than arrange for the property to be secured against further invasions.

Complete and utter conjecture.

The regulations for keyholders to retain police response is 20 minutes.
The likelihood is that 50% or more of ALL keyholders , domestic or professional will arrive after the event.

Sponsored Links
A good old USofA example, but just as relevant.

....At least once a week I am asked if it is possible to monitor your own alarm system. Even commercial & retail clients are asking me. Of course, the answer is always an unequivocal "No"

This is completely wrong. Certainly you can monitor your own alarm, or your friends and family should you so desire. It is absolutely possible.

I have no need to justify anything I write or quote, you can take it or leave it.

Euro says he knows it all and won't justify his silly assertions; the rest of us can take it or leave it.

Well, he's talking nonsense so we can leave it.

Euro says he knows it all and won't justify his silly assertions; the rest of us can take it or leave it.
Where did I say that I 'know it all'?

What 'silly assertions' have I made?

Are you trying to get me to justify what I said?

Unlike you?

Sponsored Links
If you choose to post unattributed tales under your own name, then you can expect to receive criticism for any far-fetched claim made in your post.

Europlex,
You are now saying it's only a quote. But you can't deny that the title of your thread is a very bold, definite statement. And totally unjustified by anything you have said underneath it.
You made me chuckle though. Thank you for that.

A good old USofA example, but just as relevant.

Why Self-Monitored Home Alarm Systems Don’t Work

most people think I am just being biased because I want to sell them a monitored system.

Every time this happens I tell them the same story about Joel Matlin, president of AlarmForce, & how the self-monitored portion ofhis home alarm system almost failed him completely.

AlarmForce is one of North America's largest home alarm companies. Their systems include the typical features found in today's modern alarms: wireless devices, two-way voice, & motion-activated cameras marketed by AlarmForce as VideoRelay.
VideoRelay is a low resolution camera that calls or emails images to users whenever it is activated.

February 4, 2012, Joel Matlin was visiting friends in Florida when his VideoRelay camera was triggered at his Toronto area home (more than 2,000 kilo meters away).
His VideoRelay camera first called his cell phone,
but he missed the call.
Moments later, his phone received an email with images of several suspicious men outside his front door.

Instead, he called the Toronto Police & asked them to check on his home & emailed them the images from his camera. He also called his step-son, Robbie, who was away from the home but would be returning later that night. Matlin then turned off his cell phone & went to sleep.
Back in Toronto (at 4:30 a.m.) Matlin's step-son Robbie awoke to the sound of the alarm system announcing the phone line had been cut.
Seconds later he heard someone trying to kick in the front door. He ran downstairs, turned on the lights, & confronted a group of men who immediately fled. Had Matlin's cell phone been turned on, he would have received several alarms as the men surrounded the house leading up to the phone line cut.
Instead, Matlin was sound asleep in Florida, none the wiser of what had just taken place at his home in Toronto.
Lucky for Matlin, no one was hurt & nothing was stolen. The men who attempted the break-in were arrested later that day in connection with several other break & enters that took place around the same time.
The lesson to be learned is that Matlin's alarm system never failed him. The monitoring system for his camera failed because it was self-monitored.

....and we are to believe that despite already realising someone was casing his house this muppet the PRESIDENT of a security company TURNED OFF HIS PHONE!! Thereby also endangering his step sons safety!!??

This story is complete and utter fabricated guff either that or you only need an iq of 75 to be a president of an alarm company in the US.

Nice work Europlex you have completely embarrassed yourself with this worthless piece of tat.

Now you lot of unbelievers, for once do the obvious and paste into GOOGLE > Why Self-Monitored Home Alarm Systems Don’t Work

I look forward to the apology, MDF. (By the way, I've told you before, I don't tell porkies)

By the way, did you do the search I suggested? I thought not.

Seems there are plenty of links discrediting Self Monitoring. The high majority from Alarm Companies and Monitoring companies with a vested interest in keeping their recurring revenue streams flowing.

Desperate times and all that.

I'm more than happy with my own self monitoring. No £30 a month for me and I get SIA3 with heartbeat.

Now you lot of unbelievers, for once do the obvious and paste into GOOGLE > Why Self-Monitored Home Alarm Systems Don’t Work

I look forward to the apology, MDF. (By the way, I've told you before, I don't tell porkies)

By the way, did you do the search I suggested? I thought not.

I have searched as it happens and surprisingly the REAL events tell an entirely different story.

In this version HE RECEIVED the video footage and called the police AND his own security company to alert then of the danger.

Hardly looks as if the self monitoring failed at all!!!

Of course he DID embarrassingly switch his phone off completely unaccountably... but that is NOT the fault of a home monitored system is it?

You should have done some research yourself...

as for an apology for you posting some dubious troll bait . .you are joing aren't you?

It is very important to remember that contrary to the fraudulent lie by the person selling monitored alarms who wrote that advert,
Perhaps I'll send a copy of your libel to Colin Bodbyl.

Let's swap links then, below you will find the original of the COPY/QUOTE I posted.

http://www.ifsecglobal.com/author.asp?section_id=423&doc_id=559176

Where is your link please, just to prove I'm wrong that is.

Maybe you should read THIS link . . not much chance of Joel suing JohnD it seems he has form for misrepresentation.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/alarmforce-c160953.html

and more complaints . . .

http://www.spiffle.com/rants/06-15-2005_01-10am/comments?PARENT=%2Frants%3Fyear%3D2005

but since you asked for my link . . . here you go . . .

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...in_bid_to_rob_alarmforce_presidents_home.html

By the way you have referenced a company that VELCRO the sensors to the wall...lol

Major Egg on your face Europlex.

The title of your thread is quite explicit and yet in the article and the related newspaper article I sent actually state that the system did send out and that the recipient used that information to take action...so where is the fail?

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back