Why to use a Magnaclean ? Pictures and Video

I know that after draining the heating system for the first time it refused point blank to fill back up again.

Turned out the ballcock arrangment at the top had scaled up solidly so a quick trip to B&Q and £5 later I had it going again (albeit with a small leak on the ballcock to mains inlet pipe but I only turn that on when it needs filling).

When we moved in, the thermostat was knackered, the diverter valve was seized, all the joints on the tank were seeping and the immersion element had corroded through - its struggled along for nearly 3 years more so its really time to bin it and go combi.

I've not seen as much sludge in the system as I'd expected to but it will be nice to get back to a Combi rather than messing about heating up that thermal store.

Sponsored Links
A professional would not waste time and chemicals treating a system until that cylinder was removed as its storage volume dilutes the chemicals so much.

I removed one that was about 10-12 years and was leaking from the base seam. It turned out that several others in the flats had already been replaced for the same reason.

Tony

I've read up a lot on thermal stores in the past and it seems the biggest problem is the consumer/heating engineer underestimating the amount of treatment to put in them for both flushing and inhibitor afterwards hence the "early" failure of the system.

I know some other locals here have put a single dose of inhibitor in their systems after draining thinking the "will dose up to 10 radiators" will cover their system but haven't taken into account the extra 150-170 litres in the heatstore (all direct heatstores round here)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back