Help! Clicking noise from Ideal Classic boiler (+ video)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people..

I have a problem with an Ideal Classic FF270 boiler. It fires up fine but while burning it will randomly start clicking from the gas valve/solenoid area once every few minutes and making a horrible mechanical clicking noise. Seems to me the solenoid might have gone (faulty coil?) or something controlling the solenoid is turning it on and off very rapidly (dozens of times a second). Can't see any easily accessible connections to test the +ve feed to the solenoid though...

Here's a video of the burner and the noise from the solenoid (I think). Not sure if it gives any clues or not? (the fan isn't as loud as it seems in this video - it runs quietly apart from the clicking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H18uNbST-Z4

So seems like I will need to get a 'proper man' in... Any advice? Anybody know a good honest GSR boiler engineer in Hampshire or should I just pick someone at random from checkatrade.com? Or should I go for British Gas's fixed price repair option? (Guessing around £160?)

Problem is, I'm going on holiday on Sat for 2 weeks leaving my lodger with this problem. Agh! :( Not sure whether to just leave it until I'm back as it's been doing it on and off for a month or so now (it's been fine for 2 weeks but started playing up again this evening).

Nick

Sponsored Links
The flamew is dropping out.

It could be caused by several things but we dont give advice on gas/combustion related issues here.

The only advice is to get a good engineer.

I doubt that its anything terribly serious or expensive!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back