Video - Whats up with this Ideal Classic - clicking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This Ideal Classic FF380 is rapidly clicking randomly. This only happens on pump speed 3.

The video starts and the boiler has already cut out and is warm/hot.

Typical symptoms are the boiler can be happily running and then suddenly start clicking rapidly, sometimes cutting out. Boiler will attempt to come back on, usually after some more clicking. Boiler can run happily after or it can continue clicking and completely fail to complete the heating demand.

Usually when it fails completely, you can bizarrely coax it into life by pressing the control panel front. This can be seen later on in the second half of the video.

If you run the pump on 2 the boiler will not present this behaviour, that i have noticed. It does however stop after between 10min and 20 mins (when the flow is hot) and continues to cycle every 3-5mins until heating demand is complete.

This is a sealed system. I'm struggling to convey the problem to my heating engineer as this problem is random.

http://youtu.be/l2ASEvynCa4

thanks

Sponsored Links

The noise you can hear is electrical arcing (think spark plug).

If your RGI doesn't know what you are talking about then find one that does.

Sponsored Links
Parts changers are poor workmen.

Says the man who thinks a chattering relay is electrical arcing.

Go back to door bells.

It could be either, but either way, the fault has the same fix. Go back to fitting garden taps.

Thanks guys

I can show him this video and see how I get on.

I'm curious why it only does it when pump is on 3. 2 is much more stable, but cycles and takes a bit longer. Plus my AAV isn't working correctly and I get a lot of air on pump speed 3.

I can hear what i think are air pockets in the system so I wondered if this tripping was air passing through the boiler or could be the gas valve solenoid. I never suspected anything to do with the pcb

We dont give advice on gas or combustion problems.

So the obvious advice is to get a competent gas reg engineer.

Tony

That's a shame - i didnt think i was asking for advice on combustion etc i was just curious to know if people thought the boiler shut down was due to circulation, trapped air or faulty gas valve solenoid which is very common on these boilers.

I asked because i'm puzzled why i dont get the relay chatter on pump speed 2 but i do on pump speed 3, perhaps there is a reason for this.

Is the pump wired to the boiler directly? If so, then the draw from the pump might be enough to cause the issue with the PCB, which you have to take the combustion cover off to access, hence we can not give advice in much more detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back