Why wont my toilet flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet handle needs pumping (sometimes about 10 times) to make it flush but tonight it doesn't seem to want to flush at all. Any idea what I should do to resolve?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Worn out syphon. Fit a new one or fit a flapper valve. You will have to take the cistern off. Get a new rubber doughnut washer for the cistern as the old one will be squashed and may not seal when refitted.

Sounds like your diaphram has gone. This is a large plastic washer that sits in the siphon and drags up the water to cause a siphonic action. After a while it perishes. To change it, you have to dismantle your cistern. This can be a pain if the nuts have rusted up. You also have to make sure you get the right washer as they are not universal.

However, you may be lucky if you have a two part siphon. These were made by Thomas Dudley and were designed to be dismantled without taking the cistern apart.

Wow excellent replies thanks. I'll go to the bathroom shop tomorrow and see what I can get. Hopefully it wont be too hard to change.

Sponsored Links
grrinc is quite right, it is possible to repair them by replacing the plastic diaphragm, but they only cost a few pounds so IMO it isn't worth the effort.

I like Flapper Valves as they have hardly any moving parts and (I hope) are less liable to wear out and go wrong. They are easier to fit if the flushing handle is on the front of the cistern. They are also quieter and give a good forceful flush.

p2938193_l.jpg

If you want a syphon, you ask for a (WC Cistern) syphon. Measure the height of the old one as they come in various heights.

If you want a Flapper Valve, ask for a (WC cistern) flapper valve. They may have an equivalent by a different maker that they will offer you.

Also ask for a WC Cistern Doughnut Washer. This goes between the cistern and the pan.

If you not get new metal fixings and nuts/bolts to fasten the cistern back onto the pan included with the items above, ask for a new set (your old ones will be rusty and you will probably have damaged or sawn then apart getting them off). If you have not already done it, buy a junior hacksaw and some new blades to get the old nuts off.

AdrianB said:
What is the actual name of the part I should ask for at PTS?
....Frank @ Hailsham or Nige @ Eastbourne.....they know lots:cool: .....dunno about the other branches :LOL:

I asked at the one in Newhaven they said don't know could be anything. That was before I saw John's helpful post, didn't do this today but will update soon.

Thanks.

Nige F said:
AdrianB said:
What is the actual name of the part I should ask for at PTS?
....Frank @ Hailsham or Nige @ Eastbourne.....they know lots:cool: .....dunno about the other branches :LOL:

He said PART not PR*T :LOL:

Is that two people called Nige in East Sussex? Or just one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back