Why would somebody advertise a car that has failed the last 2 MOT tests?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So annoying, see a car that looks alright, and this is the MOT!
This is a dealer too.
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.23330682.1735383843.1616428136-2118400379.1612517607

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested4 January 2021
FAIL

View test certificate
Mileage41,369 miles
MOT test number5605 0174 5407
Test location

View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases front flexi (6.1.2 (a))
  • Offside Stop lamp(s) not working (4.3.1 (a) (ii))
  • Engine MIL inoperative or indicates a malfunction (8.2.1.2 (h))
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (a))
  • Horn not working (7.7 (a) (ii))
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
  • Offside Rear Tyre obviously under inflated (5.2.3 (l))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Central Stop lamp(s) non-obligatory stop lamp not working (4.3.1 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing outer sidewall (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing sidewall sidewall (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Nail in tyre ()
What are defects and advisories?

Date tested4 March 2019
FAIL

View test certificate
Mileage41,354 miles
MOT test number3324 9113 4536
Test location

View test location
Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
  • Stop lamp(s) remains on when the brakes are released lights are flashing (4.3.2 (a) (iii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Front Brake disc significantly and obviously worn (1.1.14 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Brake disc significantly and obviously worn (1.1.14 (a) (i))
  • Supplementary restraint system warning lamp indicates a fault (7.1.6 (a))
  • Horn not working (7.7 (a) (ii))
  • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases from front flexi pipe (6.1.2 (a))
What are defects?
Date tested26 June 2018
PASS

Sponsored Links
interesting its lost 15miles between tests
Mileage41,369 miles at 4/jan
Mileage41,354 miles at 4/march

If it has a current mot, what’s the problem? All those defects should have been sorted for it to pass. The exhaust leak is probably causing the emission fail and it’s just a bulb and possibly a fuse or a new horn. Hardly major stuff for a car with 40,000 miles on the clock! Defects need doing, advisories are just that - something the tester has noticed that are not serious enough for a fail.

interesting its lost 15miles between tests
Mileage41,369 miles at 4/jan
Mileage41,354 miles at 4/march
It's march 2019 to January 2021.
Probably been sitting in the dealer's yard all of that time.
I would personally stay away from a car with engine light on and failed emissions at 40k miles.
I have a 23 year old 120k miles car and still passing emissions with flying colours.

Sponsored Links
Exhaust flexies are very expensive if its only available as a dealer part (kia £400), a pattern part is much cheaper.
Personally I wouldn’t go near this car until the emissions and exhaust leak is sorted...everything else is nothing to worry about.
John :)

Exhaust flexies are very expensive if its only available as a dealer part (kia £400), a pattern part is much cheaper.
I paid £25 for the last one and I do my own welding. Welding shouldn't be to expensive as its not that difficult.

The braided ones are a little more challenging!
I've only used braided ones there's a solid bit of pipe either end that slips over exhaust to weld, but I've just seen some clamp on ones as well.

That vehicle is scrap.

Obviously owned by someone who did zero maintenance and trashed it - brake discs ruined after only 40k miles? Probably wore the pads down to the metal and continued driving for a few thousand extra.

More recently in the possession of some dodgy dealer who couldn't care less - who in their right mind takes a car for an MOT with a flat tyre, lights not working and warning lamps showing on the dash?
MOT dates are also inconsistent - a different month each year, so it's either someone who 'forgets' to have it done, or it's been done early as a feeble attempt to increase its value when previous owners have attempted to sell the car.

You’d be surprised. Lights are the most common failure items.

Because despite your best efforts to get everything right for an MOT, a lamp can burn out at anytime - even on route to the MOT. Most other things slowly deteriorate, but lamps.......

Sponsored Links
Back