Why

J

Johnmelad502

Why does an electric kettle go quiet just before it boils?

Your answer should be followed with a (genuine) why! :eek:

Sponsored Links
it's to do with the water heating at the bottom first, heat rises as do the hot bubbles as they travel through the cold water, this causes the bubbles to collapse and make a noise!
When all the water is hot the bubbles no longer collapse, so no noise.
Bit more complicated than that but that is the gist.

Sponsored Links
If you boil a saucepan of water and quickly lift it up, you can touch the bottom of the saucepan, it will be cold.

Only touch it for a second as the heat quickly moves down, as it stops boiling.

Interesting..... I thought that would be with your nerves not being able to tell the difference between hot and cold for a split second. Something to do with the way your body tells between hot and cold. For instance something freezing cold when you first touch it can feel like it's boiling hot.

If you boil a saucepan of water and quickly lift it up, you can touch the bottom of the saucepan, it will be cold.

Erh, yeah. Right. This is a wind up isn't it?
The water at the bottom of the pan will be fractionally cooler than the water at the top and the pan base will be hot because it has been in contact with a heating element or a gas flame.

Was this a sensible reply to post to this thread as I am sure that some members families/children may also read these posts.

Was this a sensible reply to post to this thread as I am sure that some members families/children may also read these posts.

I assure you it's not a wind up and does work,have done it more than once.

Do not try it if you are worried.

I'm not worried, I'm not thick enough to try! :LOL:

But as I said, there may be some youngsters reading this that might try.

right how do i remove my fingers from the saucepan? They seem to be stuck awfully well :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back