Wi - fi Encryption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I connect to the internet via wi-fi to a broadband router. This is not encrypted and from what I am reading I ought to be. I have tried to read up how to do this to no avail. Can someone help this silver surfer with simple step by step language how to achieve this security need of encryption. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need to post the model of your wireless access point and the version of Windows you are using. Also, post the client software you are using.

Sorry to come back after all this time but I struggled to obtain info asked for. However my neighbour's son sorted out the security for me when I asked his advice ,just for the info!

After acouple of weeks I now have problems getting onto the internet and I do not know if there is a connection. When I turn on PC everything powers up but my Netgear does not activate to internet but says "acquiring network address"(client IP address). This can take several minutes and when it finally finds it a sign comes up to say "restricted or no connection". This may clear itself but normally I turn off wireless then back on and this sorts it normally within a couple of minutes.

This is only just happening and I have had no such problems previously. My netgear came from Telewest, my PC is a Dell and I use Windows XP home edition. Can anyone point me in the direction to cure this problem.

Sponsored Links
However my neighbour's son sorted out the security for me when I asked his advice

Probably got bored of stealing your bandwidth ;)

However my neighbour's son sorted out the security for me when I asked his advice

What wireless security do you now have ?

Is the network card in your PC managed by windows or by the wireless card manufacturers utility ?

Check the Netgear site for firmware updates.....if you're not on the latest then get on the latest.

You may need your neighbours son to help with these.

Back