Wickes Solvent Weld - Should the Fittings be this tight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to make a waste pipe and have bought solvent weld, as that's what Saniflo recommended. I've stuck to the same brand (Wickes), size (40mm) and it's all marked 'solvent weld'. It was all bought at the same time, about a month ago.

I tried a practice fitting just to see how much play you get and found I can barely even dry-fit it. I deburred the pipe end. Are they supposed to be this tight? How far into the fittings are the joints supposed to go?

It's a complicated run and I'm going to need to be able to make it pretty accurate. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Pipe needs to go all the way into the socket on the fitting. As ADL says, the glue will help, but you need to get it right first time! Once that glue sets (it dont take long!) you wont be able to get it apart again.... ;)

Sponsored Links
Here's a wee tip if not feeling too confident when you have a few bends and tee's in a tight space to solvent weld,

assemble dry so all looks just right ( tight as you mentioned but will fit )

draw a straight line with a pencil or fine tip marker from one fitting socket along to the adjoining socket

mark them 1-1 2-2 etc.

when you start the s/welding match the straight lines up exactly,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back