Wickes Trade Matt - advice on thinning please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been using Wickes Trade Matt (White) on a previously painted room.

Finding when cutting in the paint seems to be drying as fast as I apply it! Also leaves fairly 'groovy' brush marks. Rollering also difficult and getting some patches of sandpaper like finish.

Question: is this paint rubbish or do I need to thin it down a bit?

Sponsored Links
You need to thin it. Put some in a pot and thin it until it does what you want. Try 5% to start with.

I've used wickes trade matt for a job recently and had the same problem. I normally use Dulux vinyl matt which I have to say is much better to work with.

As stated you should thin it slightly but not too much.

I would definitely advise on paying a bit more for Dulux or crown paint. Something i've learned over the years.

Been using Wickes Trade Matt (White) on a previously painted room.

Finding when cutting in the paint seems to be drying as fast as I apply it! Also leaves fairly 'groovy' brush marks. Rollering also difficult and getting some patches of sandpaper like finish.

Question: is this paint rubbish or do I need to thin it down a bit?

As joe said thin your paint around 5%, for this product I would say that would be enough. Yet I dont think that the paint is the problem here but the application of it.

The groovy brush marks indicate that you are applying your paint to thickly and not feathering it out, the sandpaper effect "orange peel" is normaly caused by applying to much pressure to the roller, roll it out evenly and when your sleeve is almost void of paint finish off with light upward strokes. When you remove the the roller from the wall do so whilst it is still spinning and on no account stop the roller prior to it's removal.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I also have found this same problem with wickes trade matt. I found that even watered down it dried amazingly fast - usually touch dry in under a minute.

Maybe a tradesman can work with paint that goes off that quick, but I certainly can't.

I'll never use it again.

yeah, I will avoid it next time too. The Crown stuff I used previously was much easier to work with.

Its rubbish. I did a job where the customer supplied it to match the paper, i had exactly the same problem as the op. The paint has no body to it, materials such as fillers, pigment and binders are of poor grade and i'm afraid thinning doesn't help as its obliteration is so bad thinning will just turn it to ****. Best thing to do is bin it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back