Widen Existing Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to widen my existing attached single garage by around 9' and am looking to understand what's involved and a rough budgetary guide.

received_10214141023706676.jpeg

A couple of things to complicate my project include the existing services coming into the house on the garage side wall (water, gas and electric) and the presence of the mains sewerage and surface water pipes running the length of my garden alongside the garage.

received_10214141024146687.jpeg

I'd like to have the option to make the garage slightly longer as well (a decent sized car only just goes in with nothing else in the garage) but realise that would complicate things considerably and add massively to the cost - especially as you see my back door lurking just behind the existing garage.

Cheers
Simon

Sponsored Links
No, it's the main South West Water pipe that properties around connect to... Mine connects to the mains pipes further into my garden.

From what I can gather, they will grant build over rights but the foundations have to be done in a way they will approve.

so you will need foundations deeper than the sewer pipe and as you know a build over agreement

if you have trees, hedges and shrinkable clay soil that might influence foundation depth.

the garage extension is quite straightforward.
the services, water, gas, electric and fouls drains are an unfortunate complication and will add to the cost, especially if you have to involve the supplier.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I agree - I might have been tempted with a bit of DIY had it not been for the drains and services coming in there.

What's the best guess then? Any thoughts on a budget range?

Yes, I agree - I might have been tempted with a bit of DIY had it not been for the drains and services coming in there.

What's the best guess then? Any thoughts on a budget range?

I could be widely out but my super rough guess would be £15k
All those services and agreements could cost you £5k -included in above.

What was your guess?

Usual question but do you intend having plans prepared as required for Planning and Building regulations approval :?: ( Cue Permitted Development discussion )

Usual question but do you intend having plans prepared as required for Planning and Building regulations approval :?: ( Cue Permitted Development discussion )

Leofric - I don't think it would be subject to planning due to not meeting any of the requirements for a full planning app. I would create plans for the building regs and to enable SWW to approve the build over design. Obviously happy to be put right...

I could be widely out but my super rough guess would be £15k
All those services and agreements could cost you £5k -included in above.

What was your guess?

I honestly have no idea - hopefully not that much :)

I honestly have no idea - hopefully not that much :)

all the issues you have are below ground -maybe get groundworkers to do the founds and services -and do the superstructure yourself.

you will need to deal with your suppliers yourself anyway

I would create plans for the building regs and to enable SWW to approve the build over design. Obviously happy to be put right...
You are right with a Full Plans Submission for bldg. regs approval.(y)

all the issues you have are below ground -maybe get groundworkers to do the founds and services -and do the superstructure yourself.

I guess that's certainly an option. As you say, the actual structure itself isn't too bad. I guess plans would be a good place to start and then try to get quotes based on the plans?

Well that is the usual procedure :)

Indeed - and always appreciate the helpful and constructive comments you always get from forums. My issue is, I don't really want to fork out £2k for some architectural drawings if this is way beyond my means anyway so I'm trying to get an idea of costs first. Thanks both for responding.

Bit of a chicken and egg situation really, anybody who can give you a better idea of building cost would need to know bit more about the proposals I would think.

Indeed - and always appreciate the helpful and constructive comments you always get from forums. My issue is, I don't really want to fork out £2k for some architectural drawings if this is way beyond my means anyway so I'm trying to get an idea of costs first. Thanks both for responding.

I dont want to sound negative but I have a feeling most builders would look at all the complications and shudder in horror.

Jobs that involve utilities are a pain -they can be really really slow -and that makes organising a job like that difficult.

Just to add to it -it looks like a new soakaway might be needed.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back