Widening cavity in fireplace after gas fire removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5685.jpg

Hi,

We've just had our gas fire taken out and gas capped in our new house. We were planning on putting in an electric log burner but would need to open out the cavity by around 10cm on either side in order for it to fit. I naively thought we might be able to just chisel away some brickwork on either side (I have no DIY experience in case you couldn't tell ), but the gas engineer who removed the fire told us that it's solid flue bricks behind the fireplace and a lintel might need to be installed to make it possible. We have a Class 2 prefabricated flue running straight up, and the chimney breast behind the fireplace is extremely shallow (only 12cm deep). The cavity currently is 40cm at the front and slightly narrower at the back at 30cm. Anyone know the best way to go about this and how expensive it might be? If it's going to cost a fortune I'll just fill in the hole and tile over the back panel but I would really like to put in an electric stove if possible!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back