widescreen or non widescreen recording question???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a normal television and have a dvd recorder so record from tv straight to dvd which is fine. I share my dvds ive recorded with my parents but i have since purchased a widescreen tv to replace my normal tv and what I want to know is when recording from my new widescreen tv straight to dvd will the dvd recorder record is as widescreen or normal? I thought that the dvd recorder would record in whatever mode the signal is being sent to it from the sky box so i.e normal mode unless the tv guide says its in widescreen or am I wrong?

Anyway hope this is the right place to ask, maybe silly question but got me stumped.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You dont record from your tv. You record from your source.
What is that?

I guess my source would be sky dish so my sky set top box but i k now you cant change the settings on the sky box to widescreen or non widescreen mode so what im trying to ask is how can i one minute record in widescreen mode and next time maybe record in normal mode?

I would ask sky that 1.
When I record from freeview I get w/s, but as most of the time I am watching freeview when recording I have to record direct from the aerial in 4:3

Sponsored Links
technium said:
I guess my source would be sky dish so my sky set top box but i k now you cant change the settings on the sky box to widescreen or non widescreen mode so what im trying to ask is how can i one minute record in widescreen mode and next time maybe record in normal mode?
You changing your tv has nothing to do with what you record, only how it is displayed for you depending on what you have selected on the tv. The tv will try and fill the screen for you if you have set it to AUTO on your viewing options (assuming you have this feature) and the programme transmission includes the aspect ratio information. Most recent programmes transmit the apsect ratio with the prog but older ones don't, which is why even on sky you sometimes get the letterbox effect. Your recoder is doing what it used to do and your parents tv is still the same so the results for them will be the same. Just your viewing will change with your new tv depending what viewing options you have set.

i know nothing about this subject save only that a t.v. tech who was at my t.v. tutted his disapproval when he discovered that my sky box was not in wide mode. he quickly changed it from my remote so i presume that all decoders can also be changed.

Yes they can kieth, but this information is restricted to their engineers so they can take more money fro us. However, this doesn't change my response to the original query.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back