Width of partition stud wall (not depth)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a small partition wall in my hallway and fit a door to essentially give me an internal porch.

The width of the hallway is 1.2M

Now clearly with a door (considering a 726 or 826 wide door) this means that the stud wall either side of the door will be quite narrow. With an 826 wide door each side wall will only be about 6 to 7 inches wide. Using CLS 4 x 2 (89 x 38) then I reckon with two lengths of CLS per side section of wall this will be around 75mm spacing between the studs.

Clearly I have little choice with a hallway that is only 1.2M wide and where I want a door to extend across the majority of the width of the hallway.

Is this OK. I know standard walls are usually 400mm centres but is the fact that each side is so narrow going to be a major issue?

The door is a standard door (solid core weight 29Kg)

Any advice before I commit to getting this done. I’ve had plenty of tradesman happy to quote for it and no one has suggested it’s a stupid idea (yet!)

Sponsored Links
As stated to build an internal porch. Being done to add soundproofing as I live on main road. It has no load bearing requirements beyond holding a 30kg door

Sponsored Links
Speaking as a diy-er - structurally, the shorter the wall between end fixings, the stronger it will be. I can't see any problems...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back