Wilko solar light PIR too sensitive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought some solar lights with a PIR sensor as recently our nearby street light has been replaced with an LED type which isn't as bright as it was/different spread of light. It can only be a good thing but now where I could see my front door keyhole, now we struggle.

The thing is, the PIR sensor is WAY too sensitive and in normal applications I wouldn't be so bothered. However due to our drive being quite small and we have alot of foot traffic/cars whizzing passed our house, I can see the battery not being able cope especially in the winter months.

I have tried a few methods of covering the sensors internally before the diffuser with clear plastic which has lessened the effect but if I double up any time, it's either 5metres or 800mm.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on "dialling down" the sensitivity without actually having a potentiometer? I've read about soldering resistors onto the board's but electronics isn't really my thing per say (don't mind tinkering with projects without going out my depth)

I've attached a photo of the light but when I searched for them online, it seems they have been pulled from their website

I'll strip one down later and take a photo of the board. Someone maybe able to reverse engineer it?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210224_173652544.jpg
    IMG_20210224_173652544.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20210224_173652544.jpg
    IMG_20210224_173652544.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
Cover sensor with black tape , just leave bottom visible so you can trigger with your hand under it.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on "dialling down" the sensitivity without actually having a potentiometer? I've read about soldering resistors onto the board's but electronics isn't really my thing per say (don't mind tinkering with projects without going out my depth)

Ordinary, good quality, electricians black tape placed so as to prevent the PIR sensor 'seeing' the passing traffic should be enough. Probably try masking the top half of the sensor's lens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back