Will a cats whisker radio still work?

In the late 50s, we used to wire a Germanium Diode? across the terminals of a old/surplus earphone then connect it to a aerial wire (barbed wire or the like) and pick up the local radio radio (only one at that time) station, no battery required.
 
In the next year or so, the BBC will stop all am broadcasting. Most of Europe has done the same. Only the USA have a lot of stations, and as I understand it a rule that cars still be equipped with it as it is used for national emergency transmitters. There may well be LPAM or Community Radio stations available here to still be able to demonstrate crystal sets. Or you can cheat and use your own low power am transmitter, as so many old broadcast radio enthusiasts use to make their refurbished sets actually do something.
 
I know as a lad, there was a SW on the radio, and I could tune into all sorts, but in latter life, found I needed a beat frequency oscillator (BFO) to get stations, and so the short wave listening as a hobby died out.

There are still some, I have sent out QSL cards to them, but not like there were.

It started when my wife asked daughter to bring some toilet rolls and Whiskers tomorrow when she visits, and I remembered the old crystal sets. As said needed a Germanium Diode the Silicon type would not work. But one could use the yellow bits in the coal, not seen the yellow bits for years, still loads of coal where I work, but not seen yellow streaks in it.

I have not seen high impedance ear pieces for sale either, and to find a variable capactor think unlikely today, yes I know ferrite rod in the coil can also be used to tune in, but when I was a lad you could even buy a kit with instructions.

Latter Sir Clive Sinclair sold kits, which I would make up and sell at school, until the teachers realised not that many children needed deaf aids. Who remembers the Micro 6?
 
It seems that 'modern' crystal sets include a matching transformer so you can use low impedance headphones.
(BTW don't forget to book your MOT; they get busy this time of year, because of Covid, and you may have trouble with your front exhaust section!)
 
I know as a lad, there was a SW on the radio, and I could tune into all sorts, but in latter life, found I needed a beat frequency oscillator (BFO) to get stations, and so the short wave listening as a hobby died out.

Vintage Panasonic RF-2200, or Grundig Yacht Boy?

Sangean ATS-909X?
 
Diodes AO90 or AO91 some High impedance headphones (or a crystal earphone) a coil of wire, a high ariel wire and an earth and you had a good chance and all free no batteries.

Those were the days, build yer own morse key too for contact between houses as kids too.
 
Diodes AO90 or AO91 some High impedance headphones (or a crystal earphone) a coil of wire, a high ariel wire and an earth

...and a capacitor. "One over two pi root L C, is the resonant frequency"!

If you're going to try it, get away from electrical noise as much as possible. My only attempt, I picked up mostly 50 Hz and whatever odd frequencies my 'scope was giving off.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top