Will the plane take off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jf4xpym.jpg

No cheating/googling.

Sponsored Links
Tip to the right - the ping pong ball is +ve buoyant, so it will have an upward force pulling on the left side to tip it right.

Stay where it is, the steel ball is supported by the string transferring it's weight onto the frame. The Ping pong ball only acts on the water it's in and either way the mass of water stays the same in both flasks.
Well that's what I reckon without looking but to answer the question , no the plane won't take off they don't run on water.

Sponsored Links
Tip to the right - the ping pong ball is +ve buoyant, so it will have an upward force pulling on the left side to tip it right.

Cough.

Do you mean someone could literally pull themselves up by their shoelaces?

The upwards force is within the beaker itself, it does not produce and external upward force.

Stay where it is, the steel ball is supported by the string transferring it's weight onto the frame. The Ping pong ball only acts on the water it's in and either way the mass of water stays the same in both flasks.
Well that's what I reckon without looking

I thought the same but then thought the trick was that the left ball was introduced first??

Same weight on each side so it stays balanced.

The magnetic attraction would tip the scale to the left :LOL: :LOL:

Or the water on the right will be heavy than the water on the left so it will tip to the right.

It stays where it is. The weight (mass) of each container of water remains the same, even though some water is displaced by the balls it still remains in the container. There will be a very slight increase in weight in the left container due to the ping pong ball and string, but I think that would be negligible.

Just a rethink.
The weight of the steel ball is taken by that frame it's suspended from.
The Ping pong ball excerts force on the water but it's mass and that of the string is supported by the water thus making the left hand flask slightly heavier , assuming identical masses of water . Wether the ball is in the position shown or simply floating on the surface it adds it's mass to the left hand side thus that side should tip down a bit.

Stays the same,isn't the clue in the question,the volume of the balls are the same.

Tips to the left, both ping pong ball and steel sphere displace the same amount of water, but the ping pong ball adds a small amount of mass to the left hand side, whereas the steel ball adds no mass to the right as it is independently supported.

Tips to the right (steel ball side) as the buyount forces on the left are cancelled out by Newtons third law.

(Source for that answer = google)

Tips to the right (steel ball side) as the buyount forces on the left are cancelled out by Newtons third law.

(Source for that answer = google)

Correct, and tips to the right with some force too

My right ball hangs a little lower than my left ball.

However, in the experiment the water displacement is the same in each beaker so the beam stay where it is.

Sponsored Links
Back