Will this light switch be suitable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a fused light switch where the power is being taken from a socket.
I'm replacing my switches with smart voice controlled ones.
The switch I've purchased is the Energenie MiHome MIH008.
The spec reads - This is a radio controlled switch for the switching of mainspower to lighting and appliances up to 250W. Only the Line is switched to the load. Switching is initiated either by radio control or manually by pressing the button on the housing. It is compatible with Mi |Home Remote Control (MIHO003) and the Mi |Home network. It is a receive-only device operating in the 433MHz ISM short-range band using OOK modulation.
Is this suitable to replace my fused switch with please?

Sponsored Links
No. You need to fit this after the fused spur (switch). You could replace the fuse spur with a unstitched one after. It's also a good idea to ensure the fuse in the spur is of a suitable value of around 3 or 5 amp.

Ooooh. Some people will think it should have a 1A fuse.

No mention in the instructions apart from its 1A rating.

Sponsored Links
Ooooh. Some people will think it should have a 1A fuse.

No mention in the instructions apart from its 1A rating.
Lol true but even a one amp with its fusing factor would destroy the device. More about protecting the cable which I am going to assume is smaller than the socket supply.

Thanks guys. This sounds beyond my capabilities, so looks like a job for an electrician.
Can I ask, just to satisfy my own curiosity, if it's not suitable for the main circuit (as opposed to the lighting circuit), why do you think the description mentions controlling "appliances"?

Can I ask, just to satisfy my own curiosity, if it's not suitable for the main circuit (as opposed to the lighting circuit), why do you think the description mentions controlling "appliances"?
It does also say a maximum of 250 Watts.

That's not very much and we don't usually call lights appliances - although I suppose they are.

Your switch will be fine between the Fused Connection Unit and the light.

I was only being sarcastic about some on here with my previous post.

It's not really about the device you have bought it's more about the correct if you can call it that way to tap power for lighting from a socket circuit. To do that you have to do what has been done already with the fuse spur. After that you can treat it like any other lighting circuit and usually you would then have a light switch after the fuse spur which would then be a straight swap for the device you have. Such a device is not necessarily only for lights and could switch a TV amp or maybe a contactor that in turn switched a device (appliance) that would draw a much higher current.

I'm replacing my switches with smart voice controlled ones.
The switch I've purchased is the Energenie MiHome MIH008.
The spec reads - This is a radio controlled switch for the switching of mainspower to lighting and appliances up to 250W. Only the Line is switched to the load. Switching is initiated either by radio control or manually by pressing the button on the housing. It is compatible with Mi |Home Remote Control (MIHO003) and the Mi |Home network. It is a receive-only device operating in the 433MHz ISM short-range band using OOK modulation.
Are you doing all this because you really need it, or because you think it's a fun/cool thing to do?

Are you doing all this because you really need it, or because you think it's a fun/cool thing to do?
I have mobility problems and live alone, so it will be really helpful for me, not essential, but helpful.
The light switch which has the fuse in is my porch light. It would be great if I could turn it on while still in the car (via app). Fumbling around with keys and a walking stick in the dark is a pain. It would also make me feel a bit safer.

Good to see we have someone who can arbitrate what a good reason is or isn't!:rolleyes:
If it wasn't for hobbyists buying things for the sake of it, there wouldn't be enough of a market for the devices. So by that logic everyone should buy them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back