Will this work? - installing a second oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
0383FEDA-0677-48B3-AE14-051A2C7BD725.jpeg
Hi, we have an integrated kitchen with 4 Neff appliances built in. It’s a newish flat and it would be very difficult to get a new mains cable from the fuse box to the kitchen.

We want a second oven and are willing to lose an integrated coffee maker in order to get one. We have found one that will fit, and we were initially thinking that it would be a simple case of removing the coffee a maker and replacing it with the oven.

We know the oven has to be hard wired by an electrician; the coffee maker leaves a standard socket free - not a proper oven socket. Would it be possible to use this socket, or could a spur be taken from the main oven cable to create a feed for the new oven? The main oven is also protected by its own circuit breaker and appears to have a free ‘slot’. See photo.

The second oven is a compact oven and the Neff website states it is 13A.

I’d really rather not buy the oven, with installation included, if it’s a non starter.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends.

What rating is the cooker circuit/fuse/MCB in the consumer unit?
What does that switch and MCB to the right control?

If the oven is only 13A it will likely come with a plug for plugging in anywhere.
You can of course cut off the plug and connect to the cooker circuit if the answers to the above are satisfactory.

grazing cows said "I’d really rather not buy the oven, with installation included, if it’s a non starter."

I'd say pay them and it is their problem. Installation is included so it is not your problem. If they need to install a new cable then it is their cost. Just make sure that it all looks neat and tidy afterwards.

Thanks for getting back to me.

In the main fuse box for the flat, the OVEN has 16 fuse.

The socket beside the ‘cooker’ socket, in the photo, is for a plate warmer which sits below where the new oven will be. Although it says cooker on this socket, it is a single built in oven which will be staying.

The socket which will be spare (ie left behind from the coffee maker) is in the cupboard to the side.

So, if I read you right, you think that an electrician shouldn’t have any difficulty installing a second, smaller oven?

Sponsored Links
I'd say pay them and it is their problem.
That won't work.

If the installation people arrive and find even the slightest thing which does not comply with their list of requirements, the oven will not be installed.
The OP will then have to obtain a refund from the retailer, with much arguing and delay while they allege the requirements for the installation service were clearly stated and so on.

In the main fuse box for the flat, the OVEN has 16 fuse.
So why would someone have put a second, ugly, 16A circuit breaker in the kitchen, presumably feeding a 20A switch?

I think an electrician needs to look at it and see what the cable sizes and loads actually are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back