Win 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a copy of Win 7 from ebay.

Looks like I have been stung.

Have been given a refund through paypal from the seller.

Getting a box at the bottom r/h corner of the screen saying the software is counterfeit.

The disc and packaging is kosher, everything was sealed when I got it, but
Microsoft in the US are telling me that the product key has been used to install it on 4 machines.

Hence it won't accept installation on mine.

Despite the guy in the States saying he could sell me a product key for $99 if I lived there, the bloke I rang in Amsterdam this morning says MS in the UK don't sell Win 7 keys anymore.

The COA on the disc box has OA on it, which, now I look at it, points to it having been pre-installed on another HDD.

So, my question is this:

To legitimise my copy of Win 7, can I just buy a (hopefully this time) kosher copy of Win 7 and use the key?

Or is the fact that this copy is "OA" going to present difficulties?

IE am I going to have to DBAN the HDD and reinstall from scratch?

When you buy Windows is the difference in the software (whether it is full retail, OEM or OA) on the disc or is it in the product key you enter?

Or, put another way, is the software on the disc identical (assuming you buy the same version of Windows) whether it is the OA, OEM or full retail software?

Sponsored Links
I could suggest you google 'Win 7 removewat 2.2.6'

But of course what you do with the resultant links is up to you ;)

Or, put another way, is the software on the disc identical (assuming you buy the same version of Windows) whether it is the OA, OEM or full retail software?
As long as it the same version, then yes.

You might be able to use the key from another copy of Windows 7 but I wouldn't guarantee it. There are pre-installed and vendor specific versions of Windows that need specific keys, but it's worth a try.
If it doesnt you shouldnt need to go to the trouble of a DBan or diskwipe, Win7 install should give you the option of deleting existing disk partitions and recreating from scratch.

Thanking you both.

OK great. So if I go for a reinstall, I can do it "on top" (ooh err, missus!) of the existing one?

Sponsored Links
That will be one of the options during the install process...

Usual 'data will be lost' notifications apply...

Try out the other option first though, as you have nothing to lose - except the money you'll have to splash out on a new copy!

Well, that is what I am doing...buying a new copy but hoping just to use the key to get it validated etc...

I'd rather not re-install as I will lose everything on the HDD.

There is another option, but I don't know how kosher this is either:

http://itrevive.co.uk/windows-licences.html

Their information is out of date: according to them, the itrevive domain has expired.

itrevive trade not only online but over the counter too and they are not far away - that reduces the rip-off element.

However, I still don't know if selling keys on their own is kosher...

The link you post I don't fancy. First, it doesn't look kosher. Second, anything asking me to turn off anti-virus while still on-line sounds mighty dodgy to me.

Fair enough if you've chosen the route you are going down...

Just make a backup before doing anything

Microsoft used to do a "microsoft genuine advantage" offer, where any pirate copy could be upgraded to a legit version, for a little less than full retail price.

Have they stopped doing that for win 7?

You can legitimately download a clean ISO image of the Wins 7 from DigitalRiver, links and more info here :-
http://heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

There, obviously,will be no keys but the ISO will be pristine - no bloatware.

Note how to increase your 'trial' period - handy !
...Reset the evaluation timer
After 30 days of evaluation, you can reset the evaluation timer by opening the command prompt in admin mode, and typing in the command "slmgr -rearm". You can repeat this procedure up to 3 times, so your evaluation time will be 120 days altogether...

I haven't tested this but it appears to be a well used ploy.
--------------------------
Original Wat Fix here :- http://tinyurl.com/3vnk74u
Masses of info' !!

------------------------------
You may have read this already.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-message/cbd38f9d-12ca-4433-8d95-7dcd1ce093b0

-0-

Thanks, pip.

Still interested to know the "legality" of selling PK's on their own.

Sponsored Links
Back