Wind getting under flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof on a dormer extension bedroom and when it's windy the roof makes a creaking noise a bit similar to a kazoo in one particular corner section where the corner of the flat roof meets the pitch of the original roof !!

Thinking it may be the roof board lifting slightly I had the roof board checked whilst it was being re felted but was told it's nice and secure , the fascia boards are wooden and approx 10 years old , is it possible that age and moisture can warp these enough to allow wind to get underneath and the noise is actually the internal plasterboard creaking ??

I was going to try getting these replaced with UPVC . Any advice will be much appreciated as I am running out of ideas .

Sponsored Links
the obvious place to look for 'reeding' is any gaps between the window and the dormer framing.

it is likely to be a small slit causing the noise.

a common cause of reeding is when a silicon seal splits, thus causing the ideal scenario to produce such a noise.

Could that still be the case if the distance from the nearest window to the point of the roof thats creaking is approx 10 feet ?

Could that still be the case if the distance from the nearest window to the point of the roof thats creaking is approx 10 feet ?

...mmmmmm perhaps not. :confused:

so if it is less obvious, then i guess you had better get investigating. ;)

Sponsored Links
The only other possible I can think of is wind getting under the fascia board which being wood and fairly old looks like its warping out away from the wall ??

Other than that I'm stumped !!!!!!!!!

Do you know if there are any restraint strap brackets from the wallplate fitted to the walls? I'm guessing the wallplate is lifting in high wind. A photo might tell us more

resize_image.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back