Window cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I am trying to design an position windows in a new extension, so currently I have it as follows.

DPC line - 150mm - 2 courses ( 65 + 65 + 10 + 10 )
Window cill bedrooms - 815mm above DPC or 11 courses
Window cill kitchen and utility - 1115mm above DPC or 15 courses

Please correct me if you spot anything wrong.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
10mm out on your cill heights if using 75mm as your coursing. Have you got a door frame height to work down from.

10mm out on your cill heights if using 75mm as your coursing.

I have measured from the top of the DPC line to the top of the window cill, so for example we have 11 courses of bricks and 10 mortar joints - 11 x 65 + 10 x 10 = 815 mm

Am I doing it wrong? Is this the right way to tell the builders how to build it?

11 courses needs 11 bed joints from DPC. Does not really matter, the builders should know how to set up the gauge. Just tell them where you want the windows.

Sponsored Links
Theoretically metric gauge is 75mm per course.

So 11 courses = 825mm

15 courses = 1125mm

In practice a brickie may either keep to a metric gauge or match house gauge, it depends on each circumstance.

Keeping to metric is easiest, it means blockwork and bricks line up.

For windows and doors heights, is it correct to use the DPC as reference or should I be using the finished floor level internally ? I ask because the DPC is already present (or in some areas will be present shortly) whereas the finished floor (for example screed over block and beam) will come later.

For windows and doors heights, is it correct to use the DPC as reference or should I be using the finished floor level internally ? I ask because the DPC is already present (or in some areas will be present shortly) whereas the finished floor (for example screed over block and beam) will come later.

Door height is usually measured from underside of brickwork, but as a check you should see where finished floor level will be.

Typically top of screed is about dpc level, floor finish is on top of that, say 20mm for tiles.

Dont assume, especially if you have an open in door.....

OK, for window openings I have it as 1022.50 composed of 4.5 bricks - is that a correct dimension?

For window sill height in kitchens, we go for a 1050mm coursing up from DPC. This leaves a nice 150mm or so upstand above the kitchen units. It also leaves a 1050mm (H) window up to the standard 2100 lintel height.

First floor deck to sill is usually 900mm. About right for escape/modesty etc. This leaves a 1200mm (H) window up to first floor lintels.

OK, for window openings I have it as 1022.50 composed of 4.5 bricks - is that a correct dimension?

Sorry my previous was referring to window width openings. The window frame spans from brick left to brick right without mortar ( the frame attaches straight on the bricks ) and I have counted four whole bricks, one brick turned on its side, and six joints , and it is 4 x 215 + 102.5 + 6 x 10 = 1022.5.

In other words I can ask the builder to make the openings 1022.5 width and he should find it perfect ?

Sorry my previous was referring to window width openings. The window frame spans from brick left to brick right without mortar ( the frame attaches straight on the bricks ) and I have counted four whole bricks, one brick turned on its side, and six joints , and it is 4 x 215 + 102.5 + 6 x 10 = 1022.5.

In other words I can ask the builder to make the openings 1022.5 width and he should find it perfect ?

I would speak to the builder or bricklayer and ask advice on widths.
Probably you can make the window any width and he will adjust to suit.

The brick set out wont necessarily work how you think it will.

Dont forget to check in case any of your windows are fire escape -they will need to be a certain minimum size then.

OK, look how terrible this is, and it's coming straight out of Everest's brochure! You'd think they would know better.
mg-sashwindows-5a.jpg

That is why I am trying to prevent this from happening as much as possible.

That is why I am trying to prevent this from happening as much as possible.
Is that image real, the left hand looks photoshopped...

To avoid problems you are best to speak to the bricklayer on widths. Yes in theory if windows are in multiples of 225mm+ 1 x perp they will match but that may not happen in practice it depends if there is a broken bond somewhere to accommodate overall measurements. Also the perps may be stretched to suit measurements, which is quite common.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back