Window fitter, good, bad or ugly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

hoping some more knowledgeable than myself can give their expert opinion on this recent installation of uPVC windows and french door?

To me the making good is really poor, with silicone slapped on and excessive mortar. Also the french door has the external sill filled underneath with mortar and attached to the outside paving is this correct as normally I would expect a void under this sill?

I am thinking of complaining so would like to know what others think, thanks!

Silicone between door frame and tiles:

oaosvr.jpg

Mortar directly over pvc frame (shouldnt there be mastic between the two?)
258ntj9.jpg

French door sill filled with mortar (Is this correct?)
xbigxy.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not a professional but to my standards that making good looks a very poor and messy job.

Has the job been registered with Building Control?

Sponsored Links
Can we see an image of the work from a distance so we can get a detail of the surrounding masonry etc.
It looks to me as though what the fitters were having to fit to, is a pile of pants also. I'll reserve judgement until I see the bigger picture.

For instance, when fitters have to do work on pre-fab no fines concrete structures etc, then they have to rely largely upon foam and trims etc. Ugly, but these buildings were not designed with retro-fit UPVC in mind. From what bit of masonry I can see of yours, I get the impression that this is no standard masonry (neat, level upright brick jambs/sills) fit.

I am not a professional, in fact I have never fitted a window or door myself.

However - I would do a better job than that! The sealant edge is a mess, the morter is pants and not very well done, to me it is too coarse and is going to crack - 1 crack is already appearing.

Have you made a payment yet? Never pay for any work until you're completely satisfied. They should come back to put the job right but your problem will be less urgent once they've had the money.

ADVERTISING LINK REMOVED

Were the installers registered with a Competent Persons Scheme(i.e. FENSA)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back