Window Leak advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a new VEKA window fitted by a joiner roughly one year ago who I can no longer get in contact with. The window appears to be leaking, at first it was insinuated that it was the flat roof that was causing the leak. However, after hiring a roofer and spending at least 6 months, back and forward trying many different ways to track the leak. We got to the bottom of it. We made a hole on the internal plaster and tried different methods and areas of pouring water down until we found the leak and it appears to be coming in when water is poured down the inside of the window, down the drainage holes.

The water does drain but it looks as if the water also travels to the corner of the sill and out the bottom corner. (see picture, this is NOT my window but one I've taken from Google as it looks identical to mines.)

Picture linked here - https://ibb.co/f3deg5

If I look close enough, I can also see water in the channel. At first glance, I suspect the sealing has a hole or should there be end caps here, flush with the wall to prevent? I can't tell what is there as the window is pretty tightly fitted.

As I can no longer get in contact with the fitter. Does anyone else have advice on what I can do? I don't want to purchase a new window as I suspect VEKA have a 10 year guarantee (as per there website) but I don't have any paperwork to prove this, except the serials on the inside of the frame. Would another fitter be able to track the serial and get a new replacement should it be deemed faulty?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not a faulty window by the sound of it, if water is wetting the plaster at the end then I suspect the window frame was placed directly onto the cill dry, by that I mean no silicone was used along the top of the cill before the frame was placed onto it, I'm afraid to remedy that the frame has to come out, it's a job for a double glazing doctor/surgeon/service engineer

Do you have an IBG for this window, maybe try that route first before you fork out your own money

Sorry, I've never heard of IBG before, so this is unlikely.

Is worst case scenario to have the window removed and refitted properly?

Thanks.

Yes exactly.
Window out, Back edge and 2 ends of the cill siliconed then window refitted bedded on those silicone lines.

Typical problem of a window being fitted by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Sponsored Links
If you post an inside and outside pic of the window it may be possible to seal the ends without removing the window.
That could just move the problem to the back edge but it may be enough.

Sorry, I've never heard of IBG before, so this is unlikely.

Is worst case scenario to have the window removed and refitted properly?

Thanks.

IBG = insurance backed guarantee, was it just a single window or several, who signed it/them off, do you have a Fensa or certass certificate, if so your also likely to have the insurance backed guarantee, if the installer is no longer trading the insurer will appoint a repair contractor and pick up the bill, they will of course check with companies house first to see if the original installer has ceased trading, do you know his name or company details so maybe you could check yourself first, if you do go down the insurance road don't tell the insurer it's been leaking for ages, they stipulate in their terms that you must report faults within 28 days of them occurring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back