Window opposite bottom of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking into the possibility of installing an internal window in the stud wall opposite the bottom of my stairs

My stairs are 180 switchback stairs (6-1-6)

Can anyone confirm please if this is allowed and if so, are there any regs regarding window size, height from floor, overall height, glass type, thickness etc ?

TIA
Sean

Sponsored Links
Glazing within 300mm of a door or 800mm from the ground must either be protected or be safety glass. My advice is fit safety glass anyway. Additional cost is negligible.
If the stairs are protected fire escape stairs their may be fire regulations as well?

Glazing within 300mm of a door or 800mm from the ground must either be protected or be safety glass. My advice is fit safety glass anyway. Additional cost is negligible.
If the stairs are protected fire escape stairs their may be fire regulations as well?

Jeds - thanks for reply !

For info and a little more context, the window i am hoping to fit is in place of the radiator as shown in my photos
I plan to fit a smaller radiator at the bottom with a window above so based on any regs, the height and width of the window can be whatever is allowed
The door next to it has safety glass already (EN12150) so was planning to source something similar

As shown by my tape measure, the distance from the bottom step to the radiator wall is 1100mm

So to remain within building regs, is the only stipulation that the window CANNOT be lower that 800mm from the floor and must have safety glass ?
Obviously the risk i am thinking of is if someone were to fall forward from the bottom or perhaps 2nd step...not sure if i'm over thinking this :cautious::cautious:

Can you explain what you mean by "protected fire escape stairs" please ?

Our property is only a 3 bed link detached so these are our only stairs

Thanks again for advice...appreciated (y)

Window-1.JPG
Window-2.JPG

It can be lower than 800mm - but then it must be safety glass. Technically, above 800 no safety glass is required (except in this case it is within 300mm of the door so probably is anyway)
As I said, I would advise safety glass anyway. It's very common to miss the bottom step and you only need to stick your hand out to brace yourself and somebody could put a hand through the glass.
Two storey does not require a protected escape stair so you're ok.

Sponsored Links
It can be lower than 800mm - but then it must be safety glass. Technically, above 800 no safety glass is required (except in this case it is within 300mm of the door so probably is anyway)
As I said, I would advise safety glass anyway. It's very common to miss the bottom step and you only need to stick your hand out to brace yourself and somebody could put a hand through the glass.
Two storey does not require a protected escape stair so you're ok.

Jeds - thanks again

We plan to use safety glass regardless so no problem there

You say within 300mm of a door that it MUST be safety glass anyway so i'm curious in my situation, why that would be needed considering that the door is 90 degrees to the left of my proposed window and the risk would be falling forward not to the side ? (or is that just how it is and doesn't cater for every scenario, nook and cranny etc)

Are you able to confirm which section of the building regs is relevant here please ?

I've had a look through an online doc that i found but couldn't locate the relevant section

Thanks again for your input (y)

It's just how the reg is written - anything within 300mm of a door. I think it is meant to catch windows that adjoin doorways but as always - unintended consequences and all that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back