Window Quotation and Order Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently having some renovation work on our house. The work has mainly been in the kitchen but we also have added some additional jobs around the house, one of which was to replace the front windows.

We requested replacement of 3 windows (2x bay windows and 1x single window) with upvc sash. We provided pictures and measurements with this request so that it was clear what we were asking for.

This work is included in a number of additions to the original quotation and we weren't given an exact figure for the cost of the windows, however we were informed verbally that each individual window would be £200+ vat and all seemed to be included in the additional works 'fixed price quotation' in which it was detailed that they builders would:

'remove and dispose of 3x existing windows to the front elevation of the house. Supply and fit 3x best quality white faced upvc sliding sash windows in keeping with existing. To include spring loading with spiral balances and complete with finishing furniture/stays.

The windows were ordered a few weeks ago and are due for delivery on early next week. Ok discussion with the builder yesterday it transpires that he has only ordered windows for the downstairs bay has completely neglected the upstairs window replacements that we requested.

We are not sure now where we stand on this. He says that he has only costed for this window in the quotation. We now need to order further windows for the upstairs. We have obviously interpreted he 3 windows listed in the contract as the 3 windows requested in our emails and not the 3 individual windows that make up
a bay! We had no reason the think otherwise since we had been very clear in our request.

It should be noted here that our primary dealings regarding the quotation were with the company surveyor who then prepared the contract but was provided with cost by the builder/company owner.

We obviously are not happy to pay the additional cost of windows which will be generated due to the error or the builders rather than ourselves. Our decision to go ahead with replacing the windows was based on the overall quotation. We just don't know where we stand with the legal side of things and could do with some advice?

Sponsored Links
sounds like a common break down of communications.

Usually when there is a major departure away from the original written contract or quotation an additional or amended contract/ quotation is provided. 3 additional windows would be considered major and the builder would have asked for some upfront payment to get the 3 individual windows manufactured.

I would be having a look at the contract to see what is included,is building control sign off included ?

sounds like a common break down of communications.

Usually when there is a major departure away from the original written contract or quotation an additional or amended contract/ quotation is provided. 3 additional windows would be considered major and the builder would have asked for some upfront payment to get the 3 individual windows manufactured.

I would be having a look at the contract to see what is included,is building control sign off included ?
Sorry if I was unclear in my original post.

The windows were quoted for in the overall cost of our project which costed 23k.
It was only when we asked about certain aspects of the quote to be broken down we found the windows to be at a reasonable price and along with the overall quote/service, we proceeded with this company.

The amendments were all mentioned prior to the contract being finalised and works starting.

Building control is mentioned in the quote as not included but has not been mentioned or used as of yet

Last edited:
The quotation does not appear to mention whether the replacement windows are for the Ground or First floor, ( What do the Plans show,)
So one would assume it meant the Ground Floor only.
Sounds like there will have to be a compromise on both parties.

Sponsored Links
The quotation does not appear to mention whether the replacement windows are for the Ground or First floor, ( What do the Plans show,)
So one would assume it meant the Ground Floor only.
Sounds like there will have to be a compromise on both parties.

Plans? There were not plans as it was a simple case of replacing windows, no other works was done to the front of the house.

The email that was sent in June 2017 stated the following -

'9. New front windows -
upvc sash for 2x bay windows and 1x single - Downstairs Bay Windows approx. 1.9 x 2.0m Upstairs Bay Windows - 1.7 x 2.0m, Single Window - 1.7m x 80cm

You did not mention that in your first post,
Who sent the Email ?
I did and it was based on that point above (9.0) along with windows, that they built the quote on.

The 2 x bay windows and 1 single window was originally all discussed on the phone with the surveyor and then put into a contract after I provided the dimensions and pictures.

You wrote the Email , So he has not quoted for the three additional windows

It sounds like your Email was unclear (no plans)

You wrote the Email , So he has not quoted for the three additional windows

It sounds like your Email was unclear (no plans)

Please can you advise how I was unclear if I stated in the email
2 x bay and 1 single window.
I then included dimensions for each of the windows and lastly provided photographs for both upper and lower windows?

Surely that was idiot proof?

What does it mean, each individual window will be £200?
They provided us the suppliers website prior to quoting and on the actual website it states £249 per window as standard.
With trade discount and them being affiliated with company, £200 per window + install is not unrealistic!

A bay window is formed from three individual windows with additional bay poles and a welded cill, so £200 per window would come out at £600 for a bay at a minimum, which is more realistic. Glass for a larger bay with my trade discount would be over £100 alone.

£200 for a large individual window is once again unrealistic. All window prices are subject to number of openers and size ect.

It sounds as if there has been an error on the suppliers side in terms of quotation. However, most terms and conditions specifically omit liability for such errors.

Your simply not going to get another £600 worth of work for nothing. Just compare your prices with the likes of a nationwide fitter if you would like to feel better about the relatively small additional expense.

A bay window is formed from three individual windows with additional bay poles and a welded cill, so £200 per window would come out at £600 for a bay at a minimum, which is more realistic. Glass for a larger bay with my trade discount would be over £100 alone.

£200 for a large individual window is once again unrealistic. All window prices are subject to number of openers and size ect.

It sounds as if there has been an error on the suppliers side in terms of quotation. However, most terms and conditions specifically omit liability for such errors.

Your simply not going to get another £600 worth of work for nothing. Just compare your prices with the likes of a nationwide fitter if you would like to feel better about the relatively small additional expense.

Agreed in what you said but we got an overall quote that jumped from 17k to 23k which then included the windows and some other plumbing works including some new rads.
It was when we asked the break down for the windows that we were advised £200+vat+ install

So while we never were told the full price of the windows, we knew it was working out around 3k-3.5k for them in total

To go forward you need to sit down with your builder and itemise what the contract covers.

Im sure you dont want delays at this stage at the project.

Each window should be itemised, ie W1 master bed, 3 piece bay, W2 etc -you should also be signing of the drawings or spec to approve configuration

Mistakes can easily be made or a customers request can be misinterpreted.
Surely a description of work along with the number of windows, layouts etc was sent to you to confirm??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back