Window Repair Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Currently doing a bit of a revamp of an old static caravan and having a bit of a problem with one of the windows

I have attached pictures, gap at the top corner of the window (opposite side to handle) when closed and makes a 'crack' sound when opening, the handle side doesn't line up very well but closes with a bit of force, from what I've read online it looks like the hinges may need replacing does this look about right? And if so would that be an easy enough job for a hopeless DIYer (me lol)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Classic sign of worn hinges. Fairly straight forward, but you will need help to remove the window sash. The hardest part is getting the hinges back on in exactly the right position, as the chances of you getting a set with the same screw hole positions is 50/50. Word of advice , line the new hinge up on the frame attached to the caravan , and drill a small (1-2mm ) pilot hole where the screw holes will be

Thanks very much for the reply

Gona pick a few new hinges up during the week and give it a go all being well I will have a properly closing window by next weekend :D

Sorry just another quick question

Measured the hinges and they seem to be 430mm in length, can't seem to find any that length the best I could find were 414mm :confused:

Sponsored Links
414 should be fine ...very often we find the measurements don't line up exactly. If you are worried go up to the next size.
Just one quick word of warning that missed before. Check the stack height , that's the measurement from the underneath of the hinge ( where it fixes to the frame ) to to the top ( where it fits to the sash) , should be 13 or 17mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back