window shock sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are standalone window shock sensors worth it?
eg, Friedland ML2 and similar.

what i want to know is whether they go into sleep mode to preserve battery life?
and if so, how long are they asleep at a time?

are there are standalone window shock sensors that do not go into sleep mode?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
are standalone window shock sensors worth it?
eg, Friedland ML2 and similar.

what i want to know is whether they go into sleep mode to preserve battery life?
and if so, how long are they asleep at a time?

are there are standalone window shock sensors that do not go into sleep mode?

thanks.
What happens if it is asleep & the window is broken at the same time?

Isn't the ML 2 just an audiable mini siren that operates when it senses the vibrations from breaking glass. No connection to any other components.

In which case I doubt it goes to sleep.

Some sensors do go to sleep after sending a message to a control panel to say they have detected something moving in the room. They have to do this otherwise they would be continually sending messages while the room was being used normally and their batteries would have a very short life.

europlex - that's exactly why i'm asking whether these types of units go to sleep or not. if they do go to sleep, then they are useless in my view.

bernardgreen - yes, the ML2 is a standalone unit and has no connections to a control panel.

i have pirs inside the house.

i wanted standalone shock sensors on windows and doors as a separate and extra deterrent to the pirs.

yes, i have to vigilant about the batteries in those shock sensors. and it is going to be a pain to recharge & replace them every so often.

but i'd rather have that than buying a wireless expansion set to the existing control panel and wireless door sensors and shock sensors.

other than the expense, i simply do not trust wireless devices.

so, as long as the ML2 (or any other similar device) does not go into sleep mode, then it'll fit my needs.

i've emailed honeywell (friedland have been taken over by them). lets see what they say.

Sponsored Links
got a reply from friedland stating that the ML2 do not go into sleep mode.

ok, i'm going to take a gamble and get a few of those and see how it works out.

sure24 also do a similar device for a similar price.
they say their unit is also always on.
might pick up a unit and test out.

i have upvc windows.

i don't have knowledge/skills to hide cables inside the plastic framework. and i'd rather not have bits of cable stuck onto the framework.

i suppose i could get wireless shock sensors, eg texecom impaq plus-w.

but then, i'd have to get ricochet expander kit as well and then you're looking at several hundred pounds worth of stuff to get.

ricochet expander unit = £55
impaq plus-w = £35 x 5 = £175

as you can see, it gets quite expensive very quickly.

and i'm not convinced about wireless sensors.

so the only alternative i can think of is the standalone shock sensors like ML2 or sure24.

i've done the same for smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarms.
separate standalone units, always on, need to be tested for battery life every so often.

my thinking is that, if for any reason the premier control panel becomes faulty (power failure, backup battery failure, chips inside get fried, whatever), then i have a few things that are running independently.

i feel safer with multiple systems than relying on one system for everything.

its just the way i think/feel as opposed to any real life experiences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back