Glass shock sensor on which bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
Hopefully a nice easy one for you.....
I've got 2 windows in my lounge. One is a bay type window with the two sides opening.
The other is a flat, fixed, non opening window but made up of 3 parts. The pics below aren't of my windows but are basically the same.

Now, how many shock sensors do i need? Will 1 suffice for the non opening ones, or do they need a sensor on every panel?
As for the opening ones, I was looking at some of the shock sensors with the contact break with it. Are they worth it or is it overkill?

Cheers
Alex

Attachments

• bow-t.jpg
    bow-t.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 5857a9c26c7c7b0a1c28af43.jpg
    5857a9c26c7c7b0a1c28af43.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
We had shock sensors fitted to our back door, we had contact switches added as if we forgot to lock the door it could be opened without setting the alarm off. Less of a problem I would say with windows if they have handles that require the glass broken to reach them, easy running sash ones might be more of a risk.

Both windows would require 2 shock sensors per window.
If you have a hard wired alarm system then you would need to cable to each device.This can be unsightly .possible to put cable in micro trunking,if not you could chase wire in and plaster over when you decorate.
If system is a wireless system it is just a case of sighting the shock sensor in the correct position .

Ooof. Bugger me that's gonna get expensive then. 6 shock sensors to go across 2 windows..... ouch. :(

Thankfully cabling is ok, I'm going to put some oval conduit into the wall as I'm doing quite a bit of chopping and changing throughout the house so that bits easy enough. I've got a roll of some CQR cable on its way for it.
It's just a bit gutting that it'll need so many sensors when one PIR would have done lol.

Sponsored Links
Guys, has anyone used glass break sensors? Are they any good?
Just been looking at the Honeywell ceiling one as just a point of reference, and the way the 2 sets of Windows are in my lounge it would cover both of them easy enough, and its quite cheap at circa £25.
Would this work for me?

Because in a short while we will have a dog, and from what I understand, pet specific PIRs aren't very good. :)

Totally agree. They make installation bloody easy and quick though! Cheaper too.

The cost of shock sensors are a bit prohibitive.... downstairs I need 9 and then 4 shock/door sensors. Starts getting a bit expensive, and we live in a really low crime rate area and have 6 houses around us that are worth LOTS more than ours and none of them have alarms (well certainly no visible bell bix whicj woukd suggest one or not) so this is just a bit of a "dont bother pal, tberes easier pocking over the road" sort of thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back