Window sills and render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I've had my timber frame built and blockwork external but my window sills are now only 20-25mm overhang and I still need to render the block.

Am I going to have a problem with this?

If so what options do I have? I've looked into window sill extenders or else is it a case of removing the windows and fitting a larger sill?

Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
A picture would help, but assuming they are uPvc, then it'll depend on where the drain holes are, as to how you handle the problem.

Couple of pics showing über and above sill. Around 20mm.

Attachments

• IMG_5126.JPG
    IMG_5126.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5125.JPG
    IMG_5125.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 239
Picture of the whole window? Then the drainage can be seen which is crucial.

Sponsored Links
Why not get the mods to move the thread to Windows and doors forum?
There are a couple of full time frame installers giving advice in that forum.

The outside hasn't even been sealed yet, so unless the inside has been plastered, then the windows can be taken out, and a new window cill put in. Alternatively, what is the distance under the window and down to the cill. You might be able to slide a new piece of cill under the window if the drain holes are in the right place. The other alternative, is to readjust the drain holes so that they come out of the front of the windows, and then have caps on them. Have a chat with the installers, and they'll sort it out, but it's definitely doable.

Thanks Doggit,

It's all open inside so I could remove the windows and put a larger sill in but was hoping not too. I'm chasing the installer at the moment so hopefully can be sorted. I'm trying to get the walls rendered Asap so I can get the scaffold down but can't find anyone that want to do the job!

You want a window installer that wants a bit of overtime. Or are you up to doing the job yourself if the installer can supply the materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back