Window surveyor saying I need lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of getting my windows changed to double glazing. The surveyor came out and said I need nine lintels putting in.
I spoke to the original builder who built the house back in the 60s, he said the inner leaf has a casted in situ concrete lintel with butterfly wall ties wrapped around a metal bar (sorry about the terminology) to the outer leaf and that I won’t need any lintels on the outer skin.
I took some plaster off an old external window. But due to an extension done 20years ago is now in the middle of a room (photo attached). Just wondered what you guys think, if I need to install lintels or not. Just worried that they won’t be able to install the windows as it’s against FENSA guidelines.

Attachments

• 63CC5B35-20E1-4297-B9A6-FB23D2419105.jpeg
    63CC5B35-20E1-4297-B9A6-FB23D2419105.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 338
Sponsored Links
Theoretically that wouldn't be sufficient to make a 'composite' beam capable of supporting both skins, but in practice it will probably be OK without putting in new lintels.

Tell the "surveyor" :rolleyes: that it's a composite beam arrangement. The FENSA requirement is to install a lintel where necessary to prevent the bricks sitting on the new frame. In this case it is not, and TBH I doubt whether the average window surveyor would even know.

As long as there is no cracking or lose bricks now, there is no reason to suspect that it won't perform the same in the future. This arrangement is completely different to situations where there is no lintel and the bricks just sit on the frame.

Sponsored Links
Used to be common practice to put wall ties into the joints of the soldiers from an insitu beam. Anyone who has removed a beam and brickwork from this type of construction will tell you how strong it is.

A window "surveyor" generally isn't actually a surveyor.
What sort of surveyor is it actually that a window surveyor isn't :?: As long as they don't claim to be a chartered surveyor/qualified quantity surveyor/building surveyor etc if they aren't suitably qualified ,they can call themselves window surveyors if they are employed by a window company to carry out surveys for window installations :!:

What sort of surveyor is it actually that a window surveyor isn't :?: As long as they don't claim to be a chartered surveyor/qualified quantity surveyor/building surveyor etc if they aren't suitably qualified ,they can call themselves window surveyors if they are employed by a window company to carry out surveys for window installations :!:

Minimum Technical Competence (MTC) I expect.

Certass and Fensa do them.

spoke to the original builder who built the house back in the 60s, he said the inner leaf has a casted in situ concrete lintel with butterfly wall ties wrapped around a metal bar
That's pretty awesome, 50 years later you can still get in touch and they still remember!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back