Window without a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the process of redoing a dodgy loft conversion, this morning I've been removing the old plaster from the walls, I've discovered that the window in the gable wall has no lintel, I'm no builder but this seems absolutely nuts. To make it worse, there's a purlin resting right above the window! I guess the previous owner thought the wall was just there for looks...

imageieo.jpg

Any estimates for getting a lintel put in? Building control should be approving my plans next week so it won't be long before I'll be getting builders in for quotes, I'm just after a ball park figure so I can adjust my budget. Ta

Sponsored Links
Yes, that should have a lintel...

I don't think you will be able to get an "off the shelf" one as you need (or a structural engineer) to understand the load coming down through the roof...

That is very naughty... Surprised no cracks really, unless the beam goes through to the outer skin - which it should not, but if it does, in this case it might be a good thing !

The purlin extends about an inch outside the building, so at least the load is across the full width of the wall. Been thinking today, would it be better to get it bricked up? I'm having 3 Velux windows (2x 114mm x 118mm and 1 x 78mm x 118mm) installed, so there shouldn't be a lack of light, I'm concerned trying to fit a lintel will risk the integrity of the wall. Opinions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back