Window won't find CD-ROM drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just built a new PC. Everything was cool, installed windows ok so CD-ROM was working fine. Then installed chipset drivers that came with the motherboard and now my CD-ROM is not recognised by Windows. The CD-ROM is about 6 yrs old and came from my previous PC. I presume the jumper setttings are ok as it worked initially

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

That wasn't really an acceptable option as I wanted to be running with the latest chipset drivers.

In the end I fixed the problem with the following series of events (others may find this useful if they had the same problem).

1) Unplugged CD-ROM and booted windows then shut down
2) Re-attached CD-ROM and booted windows

This didn't work at this stae but don't know whether it helped the next stage

3) Opened the device manager through the Hardware tab of the System properties (accessed by right clicking my computer and selecting properties)
4) On each of the IDE channels in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers branch right clicked and selected scan for hardware changes and hey presto the CD_ROM appeared.

PS I shut down the PC and left it last night so have yet to check that all is still well next time I reboot windows so fingers crossed!

Sponsored Links
Fixed in the end. One repaired XP installation later plus a lot of swearing when trying to change the drivers resulted in complete failure to boot. In the end had to update the SCSI / IDE controller driver (no rollback option) and manually choose the standard windows XP installation version rather than any manufacturer or windows update ones.

In case any of you ever buy a Gigabyte motherboard. Be afraid of the GBB36X controller for SCSI and IDE devices. It just doesn't seem to work (under XP home).

It seems unfortunate that Microsoft can write a generic driver that works and the manufacturer can't seem to write a specific one for their hardware that does.

OK Softus looks like you were right :oops:

Back