Combatability Replacing a DVD/CD ROM Drive and HDD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me are DVD Rom drives mostly the same. I have an old computer that I want to do up for my grandson to play games on. It needs a new DVD drive and Hard drive. They are a MAXTOR Diamondmax plus 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD and an ULTIMA DMH-G48 DVD/CD ROM I have seen a second hand hard drive that is the same and I have seen a few DVD ROMS that are the same. I would prefer to replace them with the same units as I could just plug them into the existing connections, however if i have to what spec would I have to look for the replace them. I have seen an Ultima DHI-G40 160GB would this be suitable. I dont want to spend loads of money out on this as it is just a step gap till he is old enough for something better. I am not too PC technically experienced but can put my hand to most things and with a little help from someone it would be nice to have go.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Can I ask why you want to replace the HD?

Depending on the age of the PC there are 2 types of DVD, IDE which is probably what you have in yours if it is quite old, the other is SATA which is the newer faster version, however the difference in speed is not noticeable so I wouldn't worry

From a very good supplier of all things IT

SATA DVD WR = £11.03

IDE DVD WR = £14.99

If your motherboard has a SATA connection then go with that

There is also 2 types of HD, IDE and SATA

From same supplier

SATA 120Gig = £24.98

SATA 320Gig = £30.98

SATA 500Gig = £40.99 you get the idea.....

Google SATA interface and look at images then look at your motherboard to see if you have one

Hope that helps

The reason I need a new HDD is I was told by my computer fixer that the HDD had given up, so I decided as I have had it 7 years it was time to stop throwing money at it and get a new computer.

I have taken them out and on the DVD Rom( IDE Interface) is stamped on the case, I remember now that I had the hard drive replaced and it has now got a MAXTOR diamondmax 21 160GB PATA. It has the same connections as the THE 80GB ATA. I have just had a look on Google and would appear that is it is definitely IDE connectiions. Come to think of it when he changed the HDD the last time it would not play some of the games the old HDD would, is this common.

Sponsored Links
So your saying that you had an 80Gig first then that stopped working, then you had a 160Gig now that too has stopped working?

7 years old makes it what 2004, your motherboard could well have a SATA port on it which would make the IDE ports redundant

Sata port picture here http://tiplet.com/wp-content/uploads/sata.jpg

This allows you to purchase a newer faster SATA HD and also a SATA DVD WR

This kind of upgrade is not quite throwing money away as both these components can be used in a new build further down the line

Hope this helps

Back