dvd rom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help ./ needed again please, me bruv has a [ time ricoh, comp. mp7320a ] it had a dvd rom in it that didnt work / well it would play music disc,s.
when we put a dvd in [ 1 of many ], it came up on screen saying [ WINDOWS CANNOT READ THIS DISC. THE DISC COULD BE CORRUPTED. OR IT COULD BE USING A FORMAT THAT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS ]
well i changed the dvd rom with a good spare i had but it still says same thing on screen when we put any dvd,s in.
we both have windows xp .
any advice/help/ welcome, . ps. we still got L plates when it comes to comp,s.
regards, r.r. :)

Sponsored Links
it sounds like it needs the driver for it (the bit of software that tells the pc that it is not a cd drive but a dvd drive)

cheers breezer/ could be like you say, but when my son gave it me i just fitted it in mine and pushed the cable plugs into it at the back and away it went/ . [ mine never had 1 fitted ] since then he bought me a dvd r/rw/ ? so i could copy from my dvd rom or burn me own.
still will look into that what you say. cheers, r.r. :)

so are you saying its brand new to the pc ? it should have a driver cd some where, just "stick it in"

Sponsored Links
Seen this before I seem to recall changing I/O mode to PIO fixed it but not 100% sure on that, also not sure if one of windows updates addresses it, something in the back of my mind tells me so but I could be wrong. Its not a driver issue, standard atapi drives dont need additional drivers on XP. Have a look in device manager see if it shows any problems, what make of drive is it? I recall also that some Tosh drives had issues and needed a firmware flash but I doubt this is the issue here if you tried a new drive (unless they are both identical of course)
Another thought, these DVD's are originals or backups?

You will need a decoder, which isn't included with Windows XP. You'll probably find one of on the DVD installation CD (if you bought a retail drive).

Also,

Have a look here or here

It doesnt get as far as reading the disk even so the decoder issue is something else

It's difficult to determine that from the information given. He also doesn't mention which app he is using to look at the DVD. The message could be from media play for example, which will reject a disk it cannot interpret. From what he says, the original drive will read music disks (CDs?) but not DVDs. He also says the new drive does the same thing.

Maybe we should ask. What happens if you right click on the DVD drive (with disk inserted) in My Computer and select explore? Can you see any folders displayed?

thanks for replys , still investigating. bruv will do right click and see what comes up./
now come to light there is possibly software for this./ . son is looking ./ ?
will post update when i know more. cheers, r.r.

WINDOWS CANNOT READ THIS DISC
so it doesnt really matter what app is being used - it hasnt got as far as that - if the OS is reporting the disc cant be read, then it doesnt mater what app is being used.
Can you confirm the following:

Can the drive read original audio and data cds
Can the drive read original dvd's
Can the drive read cdr/rw
Can the drive read dvdr/rw

As mentioned, it is still a little unclear as to the exact problem. a sure way to tell if its the o/s at fault is to boot from a dvd (assuming as I interpret this post that it cant read a dvd at all - not just not play media)

bruv says YES to first question
NO to second question
and doesnt know about last 2 as he doesnt have them disc,s/
also when he goes into my comp/ and then dvd rom / as you said and right clicks on explore, it says same thing/ ....ie.windows cannot read ?
but ive now been told son has the pioneer software that he must have got when he had it , [ better late than never :( ] will get that to me bruv and see what happens /. will post update. :) .
do you know a site where i can get free download for a - nec dvd-rw nd 3550a. driver download.?
regards, r.r.

you dont need a driver - the drive is obviously being recognised or it wouldnt read the cd's. Did you try the pio thing I mentioned before?

eggplant said:
you dont need a driver - the drive is obviously being recognised or it wouldnt read the cd's. Did you try the pio thing I mentioned before?

no havent tried that , it slipped passed me, but i dont know what it means and where to start. :( . regards .r.r.

Rigth click my computer,. properties, hardware,device manager. Expand IDE controllers, right click the ide chanel with the drive conencted, properties, then either advance, or select the relevent chanel - depends on the ide drivers - I'll assume you have the bog standard M$ drivers so it will be under advanced, then you will see the transfer modes available, it will probably be set to auto or DMA 5/6 depending. try changing this to PIO and then reboot. - can always change it back.

he went did as you said/ -right click the ide channel-then properties- and it just comes up with a box saying -general at top left . with ide ata/ atapi
with ok at bottom and cancell /
it wont go elswhere.
i done it on mine and got same thing ? :(
where are we going wrong ?
i have it printed off in front of me and have followed it to a t.
regards. r.r. [ dont give up yet ] :)

Sponsored Links
Back