Windows and Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek:
Help!
My UPVC back door has gradually dropped and there is a 6mm gap at the top, it is also not closing properly. I have to push the handle down a little way before it will engage the bolt openings on the jamb. I dont want to call an expert out as the last time I did this he tried to sell me a whole new double glazing system. I simply cannot afford it!! Can it be re-aligned?
(I bought the house with this unsuspected problem)

Also, my front door has no letterbox!!!!
Can this be cut in to it or does it need to be done at the factory?

Sponsored Links
hi most upvc back door have an adjuster on each hinge there might be a plastic cap on the top of the hinge pull it off on each one and there should be an alan key get the right size and start to turn clockwise on each one in turn keep an eye on how much its gone up once you have reached the correct hight you wil then find that the striking plates will need adjusting or you will not be able to lock it it will prob need liftng up and redrilling with a batt drill and replace the screws
all this is providing its not just dropped on 1 side if it has then its never been heel and toed that stops it from dropping its a common problem with upvc doors as the glass is heavy if it need doing the beads will have to come out and the door lifted and packed to keep it in that position

hope this helps

yes you can usualy fit a letter box into your door,it'll have to go into either the central rail or bottom rail as they will be thick enough to take one,there are specific letter boxes for upvc doors but there not expensive.

Sponsored Links
If you can fit one of those metal letterboxes that are lockable, onto a wall next to your front door then you don't have to touch the front door. You can buy from B&Q I think.

Rustynails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back